Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 10:25 AM
    Hi All Going to configure MM on active standby basis , plus 2x MC controllers 7220. New to MM arquitechure I am reading several documents related to this. LEt me see if my reading is correctly acknowledged... for starting config basically: 1 Configure an run 2 VM with MM installed ( active and stanby) and install licenses 2. think in a hierarchy base. For this site MM will perform redundant and MC's are going to perform a cluster. 2. Join both MC 7220 to mobility master ( several methods exists but ZTP seems coll) Now the version? 8.3.0.9 or last one 8.5? For me seems that the conservative 8.3.0.9 is more stable no? Regards Team

• 2.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 10:53 AM
    The docentation suite for your specific version should help you.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/8862/Default.aspx

Some commands that may work in 8.5 will not work for lower versions.

Other than that you can go for 8.3.0.9

• 3.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 11:13 AM

@Mr.RFC wrote:
    The docentation suite for your specific version should help you.

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/8862/Default.aspx

Some commands that may work in 8.5 will not work for lower versions.

Other than that you can go for 8.3.0.9

But is secure to go to 8.5 or its best to go 8.3.0.9?

• 4.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 11:16 AM

Is it a production network or a test setup?

Are you migrating from a 6.x to an 8.x setup or is it a fresh install?

You can go to 8.3.0.9 to see if everything works fine.

And if you want to go to 8.5 you could just upgrade the controller later on.

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
    --Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.

• 5.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 11:37 AM
    Hi its a new implementation with 2 MM , 2 MC 7220 , 80 AP's ,Clearpass and Airwave. I am with you. Since its new implementation could be the conservative 8.3.0.9. I was just guessing if 8.5 has already gain "experience " to be installed" Regards

• 6.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 01:15 PM

Some pointers and thoughts.

Build both MMs. Then configure VRRP to configure redundancy and don't forget to configure database synchronization.

If you are going to try ZTP, you are going to need to add your MMs to your Activate account. There are Activate commands on the MM that will set it up to communicate with Activate. Also, if you are using pre-8.4, you will need to connect the last copper Ethernet port of your MC to a DHCP and Internet enabled connection in order to for it to be able to connected to the Activate server. ZTP works well. If you are using 8.4 or higher, you can use any copper Ethernet port other than the 2nd Ethernet port. I demonstrate ATP almost weekly by doing a "write erase all" on one of my cluster members and it automatically reboots and rebuilds itself and rejoins the cluster. It's a great demo.

Don't make any changes at the Managed Network level. Create at least one group node and make changes there or below.

I hope this helps,

• 7.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 02:32 PM
    David.

For sure it helps. Thanks

Besides ztp what is the best method to join to MM?
    Also mu thoughts were already creating one node for the cluster below mn level.

Also do you fell that, being a new implementation its ok to go to 8.4 or 8.5? Or os better 8.3.0.9?

Regards

Bruno

• 8.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 03:07 PM

I don't have enough real world hands on and knowledge to suggest one version or another. I've been using 8.5 in my lab for a while and it's worked well with my one or two clients.  :-).  Talk to your SE or salesperson and see what they recommend. I'd probably suggest starting with a conservative release.

Besides ZTP, on the MM, go to the Mobility Master node, Configuration -> Controllers and add your controller using it's IP address and enter an IPsec key. Then on the MC, when it initially boots, select "Full Setup" and enter the initial information as prompted.

Make sure that you have already added the controller as a device node in your hierarchy and that you had set all of the necessary IP/VLAN settings. Remember, after you get your controller communicating with the MM by completing the full setup menu, the MC will communicate with the MM and download it's complete configuration as you defined in the the MM, blowing away any configuration that is on the MC, including the settings from the full setup. So if the IP/VLAN settings are incorrect, the MC may not be able to communcate and if it can't communicate you won't be able to send it any new configuration that you may make on the MM.

I hope this helps,

• 9.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 24, 2019 03:30 PM

Version 8.3.0.9 is the latest conservative release.

If you need features like MPSK (PSK per User) its supported form 8.4.x.x releases, but mentioned that 8.4.x.x is soon end-of support on 31 december 2019. Probaly this is because of an WiFi alliance certification program with some new features.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/

The AP-530 and AP-550 and WP3 and Enhanced-Open are supported form version 8.5.x.x.

Also updates on the AP-515 are released in this version, like OFDMA support. 

If you dont need any of this features then you can go with 8.3.0.9 as the most stable release, but note that this version dont have support for 802.11ax (WiFi 6) and the AP-500 series. Probaly your best way to go is 8.5.0.2.

• 10.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 04:27 PM
    Thanks to alll

So MM has the global config and MC get that global parameters from MM. ( like Ip and vlan information).

Ssid for example is a setting done by node or cluster in the MN level ( groups created for clusters of MC’s.

8.5.0.2 is good for new implementstion, but my experience says that last version is not always the best and stable one. But lets test it.

Regards

Bruno

• 11.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 24, 2019 04:43 PM

Yes, all configuration will be pushed form the mobility master to the mobility controller.

On the mobilty master you create a "managed device group" and put the "managed controllers" (MC controllers) in that group. All configuration is created from the MD group. Some configuratie like IP addresses is created from the controller level.

When you like to learn more about the concept a can recommend you the excellent ABC broadcastchannel videos on youtube. That wil give you a step-by-step configuration example.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ/search?query=arubaos

• 12.  RE: Mobility MAster first time for me Configuration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 05:13 PM
    Great.

Yes. Already following abc channel on youtube. Great videos there!

Thanks for the time and patience!