Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Master Network Interfaces

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Mobility Master Network Interfaces

Posted Aug 14, 2018 05:10 AM

Hi Guys, 

Just wanted to ask about the Mobility Master network interfaces looking at the VM deployment guide I can see the following:

Adpater Mapping
    Network Adapter 1 Out-of-band management
    Network Adapter 2 Gigabit ethernet 0/0/0
    Network Adapter 3 Gigabit ethernet 0/0/1
    Network Adapter 4 Gigabit ethernet 0/0/2

I understand adapter 1 is the out of band management so you can have a separate interface than the data interface. I understand on the VM's can only have upto 3 interfaces. 

My question is there an official definition of each interface and what it does? I cannot find information on the data interfaces and what they are used for and why would there be a need to assign three interfaces to the MM (One MGMT and two data)?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Mobility Master Network Interfaces

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 05:17 AM

You honestly only need a single interface.  You understand the OOB interface.  Three data interfaces are there if you would like to bond them together for more throughput (most people will not need to do that).  

Here is how one person set it up:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/ArubaOS-8-x-MM-Virtual-vs-Hardware/m-p/414427#M79812

• 3.  RE: Mobility Master Network Interfaces

Posted Aug 14, 2018 10:57 AM

Just managaed to read the other thread, but still need clarification on it please.

I see the following message posted:

2. You do not need to trunk up all VLANs to the MM, the MM only need to be routable from and to the controllers the MM is managing. So the MM in effect only needs one VLAN/network minimum. Now, you CAN trunk up multiple VLANs to the MM depending on your use case, etc. But otherwise, it only need one IP and one VLAN (or two IPs if you are doing VRRP).

I understand your point that in many installs we would only be using one interface, which is the management network and making the mgmt-VLAN available between the MC and the MM for communication.

What is the actual purpose of the data interfaces? what traffic uses this interface when both the MGMT interface and data interface is deployed? Just want to make sure I understand why two interfaces could be deployed if there ever is a need for it.

Looking at the below point is the data interface used depending on how the ESX hypervisor's  is connected to the network?

4. LACP is never required for any Aruba product, but some people like to. For VMM, LACP is involved when your ESX hypervisor's vSwitch is connected to multiple NICs. VMWare tries to make it easy with NIC Teaming, however, virtual switches with firewalls won't just accept frames from one or the other, so you just have to specify that that vSwitch's multiple NICs be configured between the hypervisor and uplink switch with LACP (instead of NIC teaming with no config on the upstream switch). This is also common when carrying virtualized switching products across a vSwitch with multiple physical uplinks from the hypervisor, and is more efficient.

• 4.  RE: Mobility Master Network Interfaces
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:25 AM

2.  the VMM only needs a single ip address and a single interface.  It has no use for VLANs to be trunked to it.  It is a server product and only communicates on a single interface.  

The data interface is the single interface it needs to function, period.  That is the only use.

4. Even in large environments, I have never setup more than a single gigabit interface.

• 5.  RE: Mobility Master Network Interfaces

Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:31 AM

Thank you for the confirmation. It makes sense now.