Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Mobility controller Vlan design

Hello Team,

I am planning to set-up 2xVMM (active-standby) with 2xVMC (cluster) and 40xAPs.

I am searching but i havent found the best-practice/recommendation recarding the Vlans design (i am not talking about customer vlans).

All the components(MMs,MCs,APs) should be in the same vlan ?

The MMs should be in one and the VMCs with the APs in another ?

The MMs with MCs in the same and the APs can be in different?

Please help me on that.

Thank you

Guru Elite

Re: Mobility controller Vlan design

You can put everything in the same subnet and it will work. If you plan to scale your network, you want to keep broadcast traffic isolated so you would want to keep the MMs, MDs and access points on different subnets. Network elements can certainly be overwhelmed by too much broadcast traffic, so if it is not too much trouble to isolate them, you should...

****In ArubaOS 8 you also want to keep the MDs in different clusters on different subnets, because the COA implementation relies on VRRP.and you do not want the VRRP instances to overlap. ****

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

So you suggest to have the MMs in different subnet to run the VRRP redundancy and the MC/MD in different subnet to create a cluster there. I forgot to mention that i have also a Clearpass shoud this be in the same subnet with some of the components or is ok to be also in a different subnet ?

Guru Elite

Clearpass can be in the same subnet as any of the components.  At your size with a single cluster you could do this:

1 - MM/backup MM in one cluster

2 - MDs in one subnet

3 - APs in one subnet

Clearpass can share a subnet with either of the first two, because it does not rely on broadcasts.

Again, you can run all of these components in the same subnet, but later down the line when you need to troubleshoot or scale the isolation will come in handy.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: