Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility master HA - Single instance?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Mobility master HA - Single instance?

Posted Jul 29, 2020 07:26 AM

Hi,

I'm just about to upgrade Aruba O/S from 6.x to 8.x with mobility master and wondered if everyone runs two MM's for redundancy or is a single MM acceptable?

If i'm right in saying the network will continue running just fine if the MM goes offline then a single MM running on Vmware so it has hardware resilience should be fine for a smallish <300AP deployment?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 29, 2020 07:39 AM

Yes, everything will still run. Services like AirGroup (Centralized), AirMatch, etc will not be available though as these run on the MM.

• 3.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2020 08:29 AM

@abertay wrote:

Hi,

I'm just about to upgrade Aruba O/S from 6.x to 8.x with mobility master and wondered if everyone runs two MM's for redundancy or is a single MM acceptable?

If i'm right in saying the network will continue running just fine if the MM goes offline then a single MM running on Vmware so it has hardware resilience should be fine for a smallish <300AP deployment?

thanks

The network will continue running, but you cannot make any configuration changes to the network without an MM present...

• 4.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 04:32 AM

I think it is a valid design with a single MM, it's all about the availability requirement that you have.

As a consideration, you can install the secondary MM without additional licenses. So it is just the extra VM capacity that you need, which probably is the reason that many people do install that second MM.

• 5.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

Posted Jul 30, 2020 07:00 AM

Interesting, as we've been getting quotes that double the price if we want a secondary MM, for both the virtual appliance and license.

• 6.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 08:26 AM

There is no license for the MM VM itself that I'm aware of, just the MM-VA-50, MM-VA-500, etc licenses which covers the devices managed and which will 'failover' between a primary MM VM and an eventual backup MM VM.

• 7.  RE: Mobility master HA - Single instance?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 08:32 AM

I agree with Herman. You can set up additional VM MMs at no additional cost as long as you set up your MM redundancy appropriately. 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_81_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/Redundancy_Parameters.htm#:~:text=In%20a%20redundant%20Mobility%20Master,its%20database%20with%20the%20standby.