Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:15 PM

Hi,

for a while now our Aruba 6000 controller has been acting up every week or so.  the following message appears when trying to modify the configuration :

Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Wireless access and APs work fine but we can't administer the thing.  A reboot solves the issue for a week or so...

We have tried the early adopters versions in hope for a solution but even with the latest 6.3.1.1 no dice.

anyone can shed a light? thanks

• 2.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:31 PM

While I don't see this issue resolved in the release notes, 6.3.1.2 is now the latest version.

• 3.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:32 PM

Yeah I know and it is installed on the other partition and we will reboot it tomorrow morning and cross our fingers...but since its a really minor new version I'm not holding my breath.

• 4.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:46 PM

Alexbeaudet,

You should open a support case ASAP to find out what is causing this issue.  There are a number of reasons why this could happen, but support can go through your logs.tar and determine what is YOUR reason.  If I were to guess, it would be that your controller could be oversubscribed in some fashion.

- How many access points do you have?

- How many SSIDs?

- How many concurrent users?

- When did this start happening?

• 5.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:53 PM

I wanted to see with the community first but yes I will contact support.

We have :

-272 APs

-2 SSIDS on most APs (some have a 3rd)

-Average day is 2000 concurrent users

-It started a few months back maybe september-october.  My collegue suspects it might have to do with us switching from General Availability firmware to early release.  We needed to because of AirGroup functionnality.  Our Aruba vendor told us to make the move back then.

• 6.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:55 PM

What kind of access points do you have?

How is your controller connected to your switching infrastructure (gigabit ethernet?  how many?)

Do you have broadcast/multicast optimization enabled on your VLANs?

• 7.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:59 PM

We have 95% AP-105 and the rest is AP-135.

The controller is connected with 4 gigabit links (LACP) to our switching infrastructure which is Avaya 4548GT.

As for the broadcast/multicast I'm not sure (looking into it...)

• 8.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 03:02 PM

that broadcast/multicast optimization would be a switching infrastructure option on the VLANs or is that an Aruba setting somewhere?  Because I don't recall ever seeing that in our Avaya parameters...but there are quite a few :)

• 9.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2014 03:07 PM

I apologize.  It is on the Aruba side under the VLAN interface configuration.  Mind you, it is not guaranteed to work, but it will possibly relieve wired broadcasts for those VLANs.  Opening up a support case will yield more targeted results like Pmonardo mentioned.  EDIT:  You should ONLY enable this on the user VLANs and NOT the management VLANS, for now.

bcmc.PNG

• 10.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 03:11 PM

No problem I will look into it once we reboot the controller since...for now...can't access configuration :)

I'm trying to confirm if we actually have ArubaCare or not... i doubt it so we'll ask our vendor to help us out with a case.

• 11.  RE: Module Layer2/3 is busy. Please try later

Posted Jan 29, 2014 02:53 PM
    I've seen similar situations to this (not that particular error) but mine was Module STM is busy.

This was related to having too many time-ranges specified and applied to multiple VAPs, we were not able to write to memory.

We opened a case and was found to be a bug which was fixed in a later release.