Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 01, 2020 07:30 AM

We use Solarwinds as our primary monitoring tool.

I want to be able to monitor our AMP platform with Soalrwinds, but can't find where I configure the community string, etc. So can someone tell me where I configure this bit please?

To be clear, I am NOT talking about SNMP Traps - I can see you add the details for this > AMP Setup >> NMS >> Add Server

We are running 8.2.10.1

• 2.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2020 12:11 PM

This configuration needs to be done from Airwave CLI as root user. TAC should be able to help you out with it.

• 3.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 02, 2020 03:29 AM

Thank you Vishnu - but that is just crazy.

For something that is a predominantly GUI driven system, and a basic request for any kit going back decades now... then to require TAC support, just WOW.

I'd get it if it was a CLI based command, but to actually need their intervention is unbelievable.

• 4.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2020 05:24 AM

Hi Stuart,

Getting an NMS added on Airwave can be done from GUI as you already know.

However, for monitoring and polling Airwave using external server using snmpv2/v3 we have configuration which needs to be done from CLI and since we don’t have root access we will need TAC help to get this configured.

• 5.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 02, 2020 05:10 PM

actually makes some sense that AMP wouldn't be easily monitored by SNMP queries - just like Solarwinds isn't easily monitored via SNMP query.  Both are management platforms and expect to manage other things.

• 6.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 03, 2020 04:05 AM

Sorry but that is not true as a statement.

Solarwinds can and does monitor itself, plus the platform it sits on is also monitorable by Solarwinds. Does AMP do that? I don't think so.

I may not be an MVP with AMP (or even Solarwinds) but this is basic 101 monitoring, not rocket science or similar.

• 7.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 06, 2020 01:35 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to be antaginistic.

Airwave is fundamentally a management tool (like solarwinds) and as such wasn't designed to be managed (also like solarwinds)

Both tools monitor themselves and expect to monitor other things.

We use the application monitor in Solarwinds to tell us if Airwave is unhappy, and forward syslog/SNMP traps from Airwave to alert other systems of issues.

• 8.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 15, 2020 10:04 AM

Adding NMS to Airwave can be done via GUI. However, when using SnapV2/V to test and select radio waves on an external server, there is some configuration that needs adobe zii free download to be done through the CLI and I need TAC assistance because it is not accessible. Root access. 

• 9.  RE: Monitor AMP with Solarwinds

Posted Jul 15, 2020 10:29 AM

Hey Martha - welcome to the forum where the standard answers you'll get are:

- you don't want/need to do that, so do this completely different thing instead

and

- raise a TAC case

Sadly, this has been my experience of repleis I get on these forums but I hope your experience is different.

For that TAC case though, you will need to raise it yourself for the assist you need, and contact details/methods are here: https://www.arubanetworks.com/en-gb/support-services/contact-support/