Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multi-cluster AP provisioning

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Multi-cluster AP provisioning

Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:23 PM

I've got a new 4 cluster AOS8 deployment using VIPs for the clusters per the design guide. As I begin bringing up the APs, they of course go to the cluster I have set up as the aruba-master.dns.com address. How do I actually provision the APs to the certain cluster I want them assigned to? I thought this was done using the LMS address and the VIP but then I heard that is not correct. Can someone clarify? 

• 2.  RE: Multi-cluster AP provisioning
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:25 PM

APs that share a cluster should be in the same ap-group.  Each AP group would have an AP system profile that points to the LMS-IP of the cluster where you want those access points.

• 3.  RE: Multi-cluster AP provisioning

Posted Jul 31, 2018 02:29 PM

ok, thanks!

and also, since all the APs are on the main cluster when they first come online, all groups that I would ever want to provision to would have to be configured on that cluster as well as the destination cluster? 

I'd assume to make things simple, all AP groups should be created in the main folder so they trickle down to all clusters?

• 4.  RE: Multi-cluster AP provisioning

Posted Apr 29, 2020 08:35 AM

Revisiting this post. 

The previous posters question is valid. A clean design would have AP-Groups exist only in the Cluster they are meant for. This however would not allow ADP to work properly if Aruba-Master resolves to a cluster that does not contain the AP-Group with LMS pointing to a different/correct Cluster. 

I see two options:

1- Create the AP-Groups at a higher level as previously suggested. All Clusters would then have all AP-Groups (not clean) but this would allow them to learn the correct LMS.

2- Use DHCP Options 60 and 43 which has higher priority than Aruba-Master. 

If there are better options, please post! 

• 5.  RE: Multi-cluster AP provisioning

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2020 08:43 AM

The OP's original post did not mention ap-groups...  He/she just wanted to know how to get APs to the desired cluster of the primary discovery method pointed them to a different cluster.  The solution proposed was to use an ap-group to get access points to the cluster that you wanted them to end up on, and to make sure those ap-groups are defined at the level the discovered controllers were on, so that configuration for that group would be available to those APS.

This post is two years old and marked solved so it is being closed.