Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multicast within same vlan

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Multicast within same vlan

Posted Apr 04, 2012 10:48 AM

I used to have mulitcast working within the same vlan for some controlled tests, but it appears not to be working at this point.  I'll admit that I haven't looked at it in a while, but I know it was working when I was using 3.4.  I'm on 6.1.2.6 and it's not working now.  I don't have "drop broadcast / multicast" option enabled on the SSID either.  I have multicast enabled on the connected router and switches?  Anything that I'm missing?

• 2.  RE: Multicast within same vlan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2012 11:02 AM

What is your setup on the client and server side?

• 3.  RE: Multicast within same vlan

Posted Apr 04, 2012 11:17 AM

I was trying to get bonjour working.  So, I have macs that work fine on the wired side, but when we unplug and use the same wireless ssid, I get nothing

• 4.  RE: Multicast within same vlan
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2012 12:18 PM

Another Knob that you should be careful about is the bc/mc aoptimization Knob (this drops all multicast and broadcast packets except ARP,DHCP and  VRRP on that VLAN)  for VLANs, this knob is diasbled by default but make sure this is not turned on. Under IP --> select VLAN-->disable bc/mc opt if it is enabled.

Are you trying to get bonjour working between 2 clients connected to the same wireless network and same VLAN or between a wired Apple TV and wireless client on the same VLAN? In either case make sure that the user roles allow the required communication. If the bonjour is between wireless clients then make sure that deny-inter-user traffic and bridging are disabled.

Regards,

Sathya

• 5.  RE: Multicast within same vlan

Posted Oct 12, 2012 07:09 PM

Thank you Sathya!!  This knob had been turned on for awhile with no issues and then we received a help desk ticket saying that a specific iOS app was not able to discover its host application.  Been looking for a solution all day, never thought turning that off would make it work.  Thanks again!

Pat