Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple SSID's

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 24, 2012 03:02 AM

Good Morning

We currently have a setup consisting of a Aruba 200 controller with 6 access points. We are usig a single SSID at present with open access and security handled by a captive portal log on account. In 1 area of our works we would like to present a 2nd ssid with PSK logon. Is it just a case of creating a 2nd ssid and ensuring the AP in this area uses that profile or will this ssid be propogated to all AP's. Been a while since i configured anything on the Aruba so am a bit rusty ! Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated...

Cheers

Steve

• 2.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 24, 2012 03:26 AM

There are two ways to do this:

Option 1:

* You have your original ap-group that contains vap1.

* You define a second ap-group that contains vap1 and vap2.  APs in this group will advertise two ESSID.

Option 2:

* You can add a second vap to the AP instance.  This is effective if you are defining it for a one or a few APs.  Any more, i would suggest option 1.

-michael

• 3.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 27, 2012 08:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, could you explain further option 2 please. 

how do you mean add a second vap to the AP instance ?

Sorry bit rusty on Aruba configuration

Cheers

Steve

• 4.  RE: Multiple SSID's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 09:09 AM

Steve,

Please use the Wizard, if you are on ArubaOS 5.x:

Configuration> WLAN/LAN Wizard.

• 5.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:08 AM

Thanks, will that affect the configuration we allready have on the crontroller for AP's ? We need to keep some AP's on the original configuration

Cheers

• 6.  RE: Multiple SSID's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:12 AM

@stevegates wrote:

Thanks, will that affect the configuration we allready have on the crontroller for AP's ? We need to keep some AP's on the original configuration

Cheers

As long as you only ADD a Virtual AP, no.

• 7.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:38 AM

Ok Thanks, So as long as I create a new group and WLAN in the wizard  then the other WLAN we have will not be affected and will still be adveretised ?. Also after going through the wizard and getting to the finish page I noticed there was no setting up of authentication, we want to use WPA-PSK for this one WLAN only, is this something you configure afterwards ?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a bit of a novice on Aruba !

Steve

• 8.  RE: Multiple SSID's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:41 AM

Do not create a new AP group.  Only add a WLAN to an existing ap-group (the one that your APs are already in).  the Wizard will take you through the point where you put the VLAN, and then it asks you for the encryption type.  Choose "Strong encryption with shared-key authentication", which should set WPA2-AES-PSK and ask you for a key.

• 9.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:56 AM

Thanks once again, After i select the VLAN I onlt get the captive portal option for authentication. There is no option for strong encryption etc...

We use the Captive portal for our current WLAN

Thanks

• 10.  RE: Multiple SSID's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 10:59 AM

Before that, you can choose guest or internal.  Make sure you choose internal.

• 11.  RE: Multiple SSID's

Posted Feb 27, 2012 11:38 AM

Thats working now, thanks very much for your help, much appreciated

Steve

• 12.  RE: Multiple SSID's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 11:45 AM

Steve, glad to hear it.