Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 09, 2013 09:48 PM

I have two wlans each configured with seperate vlan id, recently clients connecting to one of the wlans which has some interconnectivity to the internal LAN are not getting dhcp addresses from the scope configured on the controller but rather their dhcp requests are making their way to the domain controller and getting an address from a scope configured there. In what scenario would these broadcast requests not be handled by the controller and forward onward and how can i prevent this from happening?

• 2.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2013 09:50 PM

Do you have layer 3 interfaces for those VLANs on your controller?

• 3.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:13 PM

Yes for the problematic wlan not handing out the proper ip the configuration is ..port gig 1/0 connects to a dmz switch which then connects to the firewall port serving as the default router for the wlan, on this dmz switch is another connection to one of the two server switches this is how the dhcp requests are being forwarded to the domain controller however i need this connection as my inbound mail server utilizes this path. This was working within the last few months i'm not sure what happened. Let me know if you need any more specific info.

• 4.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:15 PM
    So your DHCP server is on the same L2 segment as your wireless clients?

• 5.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:21 PM

It is, the dhcp server is the aurba controller each wlans vlan has its own scope configured on the controller.

• 6.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:24 PM

Sorry,  I meant your domain controller DHCP server. 

• 7.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:38 PM

No the domain controller is on vlan1 of the cisco network, a port on the aruba controller also vlan1 is the uplink between aruba and our cisco lan additional each of the wlan 51/61 default router is a firewall port we have rules configured on the fw for traffic however shouldn't the dhcp broadcast be handled directly on the aruba controller?. The wlan i'm having an issue with is vlan51 there isn't a  vlan51 on the cisco cores (im using HSRP at the core level, my routes and vlans are located on the cores) in terms of vlans allowed on the trunk its 1-4094 so it includes the one i'm having an issue with the cisco switchport for the uplink also is allowing all vlans but again should these dhcp requests be traversing my cisco network at all?

• 8.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 10, 2013 06:04 PM

Can you please share a drawing with your current setup ?

• 9.  RE: Multiple WLAN w/seperate DHCP Scopes

Posted Sep 09, 2013 10:08 PM

Run the following :

show  running-config | begin gigabit 

And make sure those VLANs are trusted on the trunks going back to the uplink switch and it also matches the VLANs on the switchport trunk allowed vlans 

Also do a show trunk and a show interface brief to confirm that these are up and running.