Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Aug 27, 2016 05:58 AM

I have 2 Aruba AP 0215, runing well with virtual controller configured. I just decided to buy a dedicated controller, Aruba 7030.

In initial configuration, i configure the controller with vlan 80 10.100.20.2 (since I set the AP in the same segment). The 7030 interface is configured in trunk mode, because I have multiple SSID with multiple vlan in it, so it has to be trunk mode.

But the case is, the 7030 wont detect the AP0215, the configured or even the fresh one.

Thank you,

Lazuardi Nurfaiz

• 2.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2016 06:22 AM

• 3.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Aug 29, 2016 03:32 AM

I tried to convert the AP to Campus AP. But the process never get done, it just said "Conversion - Please wait". Is it normal?

• 4.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 29, 2016 04:54 AM
    What version of code is running on your controller?

• 5.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Sep 19, 2016 03:21 PM

How can I check what version of code is running in my controller? What is the different of campus ap and remote ap? The controller still not detecting / controlling the AP :(

• 6.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Sep 20, 2016 05:51 AM

@lazuardiadli wrote:

How can I check what version of code is running in my controller?

=> check under tab maintenance

What is the different of campus ap and remote ap?

=> campus AP uses the internal address to connect to the controller. Remote AP uses a public address to connect to the controller. The remote AP has some limitations in specific tunnel types. 

The controller still not detecting / controlling the AP :(

=> is there a dns record for aruba-master? Or are the AP's in same VLAN as controller?

• 7.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Sep 20, 2016 03:28 PM

Can I use remote AP if the controller and the AP in the different network?

For now, the controller and the AP is on the same network. But in the future, the controller and the AP will be in the different private network.

• 8.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 09:47 PM

When provisioning the AP as a remote, you just put in the public ip address of the controller, and then the Remote AP will route its traffic to that ip address when it boots up.  It does not need to be on the same subnet:

remote.png

Please see the remote AP VRD here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Remote-AP-Networks/ta-p/155140 for more details.

• 9.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

Posted Sep 25, 2016 01:53 AM

What I get from your explanation is this:

Remote AP: the controller should be in public address

Campus AP: the controller should be in private address, and it can be in the different network?

Is it correct?

• 10.  RE: My 7030 Aruba Controller wont detect Aruba APIN0215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2016 07:18 AM

The campus AP is the default method of connecting an AP to a controller and it uses GRE to transport client traffic back to the controller.  Connecting a Campus AP to a controller beyond a firewall will not work, because gre cannot travers a nat boundary.  The Remote AP uses ipsec to transport all traffic so it CAN pass beyond a firewall.  The Remote AP is ideal for remote offices, as a result.  For a Remote AP to work, the controller would need either a public address on one of its interfaces, or a public address provided via a 1:1 NAT by a firewall.

The campus AP requires very little configuration to work.  A remote AP requires more planning and configuration.