Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

NTP offset to high

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  NTP offset to high

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 31, 2019 05:15 PM

Hi Airheads,

I have possible a NOOB question about NTP ;) I have two VMC controllers managed by a Mobility Master running 8.4.0.0. The NTP server is my windows server 2012 domain controller.

My effective configuration is look like:

# ntp server 172.16.200.1 iburst

# clock timezone Europe/Amsterdam

My problem is the NTP server is reachable but it dont sync the clock. As you can see my manually configured date is 3 March (for testing purpose), and the NTP offset shows me a very high offset (offcourse). But after reboot the controllers one by one the NTP isnt synced the correct date and time.

I tried a lot of options, public ntp, reconfigure my DC ntp server, disable ntp on the controller, enable it, reboots. But it still out of sync. I start troubleshooting because there was in the first place a small offset of 5 minutes, but give issues with COA requests. I dont have (our not seen) this issue in the past on ArubaOS 8.3 and start after upgrading to 8.4.

Can anybode help me on this? See below the output of my VMC's and the w32tm configuration on my AD server.

show_ntp_server.JPGw32tm configure.JPG

• 2.  RE: NTP offset to high
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2019 11:59 PM

Hi mkk,

To my understanding, NTP is syncing over time. Which means, if the offset is very high it will take some time to get synced. Actually, it will drift slowly to the correct time. This is to avoid hard cuts. So the offset should be decreased over time. If this is not the case, something is wrong. 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: NTP offset to high

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 07, 2019 04:02 PM

Agree. After set the clock manual closed as possible to the reall time the offset get smaller after somedays. My issue was based on that my offset was to high in the firstplace. Thanks for your suggestion!