Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need Help with QOS honoring inbound to the controller(wired) and tagging/queueing outbound from AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need Help with QOS honoring inbound to the controller(wired) and tagging/queueing outbound from AP

Posted Jul 07, 2015 09:41 PM

Need to understand how to configure the controller to honor DSCP tagging inbound (wired) to the controller and then the configuration for traffic sourced wirelessly through the AP then hitting the controller outbound.  

I require voice traffic from specific VLAN to specific networks on RTP ports and SIP ports prioritized, the other traffic can default.   I am thinking some type of ACL to match the traffic and tag it, that is if it is not already tagged.   Any help would be appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Need Help with QOS honoring inbound to the controller(wired) and tagging/queueing outbound from AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2015 09:45 PM

You can create firewall policies in your user roles to mark traffic. TOS and 1p are over on the right.

qos-userrole.PNG

• 3.  RE: Need Help with QOS honoring inbound to the controller(wired) and tagging/queueing outbound from AP

Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:10 PM

So I guess im confused then....

If my user role is tagging the traffic that is outbound from the controller to the rest of the network.  

If I have an Iphone connected to an ap using a voip app that is not prioritizing traffic is there a way to prioritize that traffic at the AP.    I guess I answered my own question thinking about it.   Since it is not prioritizing the traffic on the app itself, there's really no way to tag on the uplink ....it just does it's best by using CAC.   So we can tag outbound traffic(sourced from client through AP) by ACL and ToS & DSCP but there's no queueing mechanism?   Is this a true statement?

• 4.  RE: Need Help with QOS honoring inbound to the controller(wired) and tagging/queueing outbound from AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 09:25 PM

The firewall policy will mark traffic that is not marked correctly, both as it leaves the controller and as it travels back to the client. If the client is not marking the traffic, the first "hop" (client to controller) can never be mark correctly unless you are using SDN-type intelligence like the Skype for Business API integration.

Have you done a packet capture? I've found that things like carrier Wi-Fi calling and some freeware VoIP apps actually do mark the voice traffic correctly.