Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:08 AM

I have a customer who is questioning the device uptime report because it is not taking into account downtime that he says he had.

Report ran for the week of the 17th to the 23rd

Internet was not working, therefore he had to reboot the "wireless router", (trying to find out what he actually rebooted).

The report for that week shows 100% SNMP and ICMP Uptime with 2 Bootstrap and 1 reboot count. Downtime duration 0 secs and 0%.

According to the device events I see the following:

Thu Mar 21 10:01:33 2013SystemConfiguration verification succeeded; configuration is good
    Thu Mar 21 10:01:33 2013SystemUp
    Thu Mar 21 10:01:33 2013SystemDown
    Thu Mar 21 10:01:33 2013SystemDevice has rebooted: Change in number of reboots detected (got 3, expected 2)
    Thu Mar 21 10:01:24 2013SystemStatus changed to 'OK'
    Thu Mar 21 10:01:24 2013SystemUp
    Thu Mar 21 08:31:27 2013SystemStatus changed to 'AP is no longer associated with controller'
    Thu Mar 21 08:28:47 2013SystemStatus changed to 'AP is down (SNMP Trap - wlsxNAPMasterStatusChange from 172.30.67.6)'
    Thu Mar 21 08:28:47 2013SystemDown

AMP detected it as offline the day he rebooted his router. The report does not reflect that.

Does the report take into account power uptime only? Tunnel uptime?

This past Saturday (23rd), I upgraded the controller around 1am (after the uptime report was generated), the AP upgraded and rebooted. I ran the same report from the 20th to the 26th and the report output is the exact same.

So I am trying to figure out whether I have this configured wrong or there is something wrong with AMP.

The AP is in its own AMP group and folder.

Controller is a multi-tenant controller with multiple customers and is in its own group. The report only includes the APs AMP group  and folder.

AMP version 7.6.3

• 2.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:32 AM

Did the APs failover to another controller when you were upgrading by any chance?

• 3.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:36 AM

Nope. Single Standalone master controller

• 4.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:39 AM

Did you guys see the APs listed in the down list during the maintenance ?

• 5.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:43 AM

Yes. The recent events also show the AP as down.

Even the controller shows the AP has being up for 4 Days and also the following:

(multi-poc-wips-wlc-1.c6.dv) #show ap debug system-status ap-name CIM-ON-TOR-55YON-WAP1

Reboot Information
    ------------------
    AP rebooted Fri Mar 22 23:34:02 EDT 2013; SAPD: Reboot after successful image upgrade
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:47 AM

I just ran the same report on mine and it provided the right uptime report , but I am running 7.6.1 . I wonder if there's any issue with 7.6.3

• 7.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:54 AM

I have separate issues with 7.6.3, see my post about upgrading from 7.5.5. to 7.6.3 and how it doesn't like AOS 6.2.1.0.

I will have to get TAC to look at this then most likely unless Rob hopefully you can chime in?

• 8.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2013 05:54 PM

First check is AMP Setup -> General Tab -> Historical Data Retention box.  If the data for 'Device Uptime' is not kept long enough, then the reporting will need to be done in respect to the HDR setting.

On the controller's manage page, was 'Enable Planned Downtime Mode' set to 'yes' during the time of the downtime?

If so, the default report definition for Daily Device Uptime report ignores planned downtime mode.  To account for this, you can set 'include devices in planned downtime mode' = yes.

Additionally, try running a 'Device Uptime report', set 'include details about every device' = yes, and then 'limit to devices with downtime' = yes, and 'include devices in planned downtime mode' = yes.  This should give you a report of all devices that had experienced downtime during the reporting window.

• 9.  RE: Need help understanding a Device Uptime report

Posted Mar 28, 2013 10:07 AM
    HI Rob, Thanks for the reply so here we go HDR has 60 days set During the controller upgrade, I had enabled 'Planned Downtime' but the report did not include 'include devices in planned downtime mode' = yes. So that would explain why that device never reported offline for that week's report. I ran the custom device uptime report again and 'include details about every device' = yes was always set and 'limit to devices with downtime' = yes but I enabled 'include devices in planned downtime mode' = yes now Report shows the exact same data as the week's previous report. 100%.not what I was expecting.