Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Network Config Backups

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Network Config Backups

Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:13 PM

Is Cat Tools still the preferred method of automatic network backups? I've seen mention and links back to an older post by cjoseph that tells how to setup automatic backups, but I want to make sure it's still the preferred method. (Since the post was from 2009) The application looks to not be "free" anymore, it looks like it only has a 14 day trial. 

The post I'm referencing is: Here

• 2.  RE: Network Config Backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:37 PM

AirWave would be the preferred backup at this point.

• 3.  RE: Network Config Backups

Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:41 PM

Wait. Airwave? I have not done any training on Airwave yet but we do have Airwave. Are network config backups covered in the user manual do you know? 

• 4.  RE: Network Config Backups
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:50 PM
      |   view attached

AirWave can audit and manage your configurations and firmware.

What devices are you looking to backup? Are they Aruba controllers or switches?

The attached doc might not be exactly what you are looking for but it should give you an idea of what AirWave can do.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    SwitchConfig.pdf   1022 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Network Config Backups

Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:55 PM

I have a 7210 Controller, and S2500 switches. 

There are a few other network devices that we'd like to get backups of. 

The PDF you attached is definitely pointing me in a right direction I can tell after skimming a few of the chapters. Thank you for your help!

• 6.  RE: Network Config Backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 04:57 PM

AirWave has come a long way with the switches. 98% of the config can be managed through AirWave. You'll see even more improvements in AirWave 8. 

You can also work with your local SE to start managing them.

• 7.  RE: Network Config Backups

Posted Mar 03, 2014 05:05 PM

Do you happen to know if Airwave has any issues when dealing with Stacks? I figure not because as far as it's concerned it should see it as a singular switch, but I don't know this for sure. 

• 8.  RE: Network Config Backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 05:06 PM

There were some issues early in 7.7 where certain switches would be recognized as part of the stack but we haven't seen that since. We're on 7.7.6 right now.

• 9.  RE: Network Config Backups

Posted Mar 03, 2014 05:16 PM

So we currently have 7.7.3 and we are being notified of a version 7.7.9 we haven't upgraded yet because we weren't sure of the reprecussions of such yet. 

Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to 7.7.9 as of now? 

• 10.  RE: Network Config Backups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 05:19 PM

Just haven’t had a chance to do it  :)