Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Network monitoring

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Network monitoring

Posted Nov 07, 2013 07:17 PM

Hello, I have to check if a network is good enough to receive voice. Did you have a good software to test the bandwidth?

I use Wireshark if a network is slow but with this software I can test the bandwidth.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Network monitoring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2013 07:36 PM

@rgodin wrote:

Hello, I have to check if a network is good enough to receive voice. Did you have a good software to test the bandwidth?

I use Wireshark if a network is slow but with this software I can test the bandwidth.

Thank you

There are a number of considerations, besides the bandwidth.  Most voip protocols use little bandwidth.  Please read our roaming devices VRD here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_Roaming.pdf to see what the considerations for VOIP are...

• 3.  RE: Network monitoring

Posted Nov 12, 2013 12:22 PM

Thank you, but I have to test the performance of the network. Somebody have a software for that?

• 4.  RE: Network monitoring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2013 12:45 PM

@rgodin wrote:

Thank you, but I have to test the performance of the network. Somebody have a software for that?

rgodin,

In practice, it is best to test with the device(s) that you will be using for the network.  No test can exactly emulate the behavior of an individual device.  With that being said, there are things you can do:

- Ping is probably the most rigorous test you can do on a WLAN, because pings are not retried.  See how many pings are dropped out of 100.  

- See how many pings are dropped while you roam. That is where testing with the specific device will help, because how many access points at what signal strength are required for good roaming is dictated by the manufacturer of the device and application.  It is easier for a handset manufacturer to define specifications than a softphone manufacturer, because the performance depends very heavily on the device the softphone is running on.

Hopefully that gives you a decent start.  There are organizations who specialize in preparing an environment for VOIP and if this is going to be a big initiative, you should employ their help so that your rollout is successful.  If it is not going to be big, ping and ping while roaming is a good start.

• 5.  RE: Network monitoring

Posted Nov 13, 2013 04:56 AM

Just for performance you can use iperf. You can download it to Linux/Windows/Mac. All of these versions can be found from net.

Server should be on the same network and connect using wired connection and client should be connected to wireless network.

On the server use command promt / terminal and type iperf -s

On the client side use iperf -c serverip (ex. 10.0.0.1) -t 10 -i1

-t 10 = 10 times
    -i 1 = every one second

Also you can mimic multiple clients at the same time using -P argument like iperf -c serverip (ex. 10.0.0.1) -P 10

more info from http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php