Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

Posted Oct 05, 2017 11:55 AM

Currently I've got about 30 schools using aruba APs, the large campuses have controllers, the remaining 25 sites are using instant clusters.  The campus APs are currentling using DNS (centrally managed) to find aruba-master. 

We have older 93H APs used in some places as switches with the radios turned off, these are provisioned to use a central controller for management.

If I try to add a new or replacement IAP to an instant cluster they are now seening the aruba-master DNS entry and converting to campus AP automatically and await provisioning on the master instead of joining the local cluster (running 6.5). 

If I delete the aruba-master dns entry, wipe an AP and reboot it joins the cluster properly.

Is this a bug for the APs to convert to campus APs without me having to go into them and choose to convert to campus AP?  I'd rather them not do this, if it's a new feature can it be turned off on the IAPs before deploying?

The instant clusters are on 6.5.3.2 (6.4 works as I exprected).

The controllers are on 6.4.4.8.

I appreciate any feedback!

• 2.  RE: New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 12:01 PM

What's the model of the new AP's? Are they the new Unified AP's by any chance?

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Aruba-Unified-AP-platform/ba-p/295661

This might explain why they are picking up aruba-master before finding the VC.

• 3.  RE: New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

Posted Oct 05, 2017 12:14 PM

They are all model APIN0225  IAP-225-US.

Looking over the linked document this sounds exactly like what I'm seeing.  It looks like another feature added and turned on by default.

Any thoughts on what I could do here?  I've got around 1000 IAP 225s in clusters (25 or so clusters) and around 1000 APs that are controller based.  These are seperate locations, but use centrally managed DNS.  Some of the sites with instant clusters will require a few controller based 93H aps to be used as switches with disabled radios...

• 4.  RE: New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

Posted Oct 05, 2017 03:30 PM

It does look like these IAP 225s are doing that the newer unified APs do as far as auto provisioning to a controller goes.  I was able to use some DHCP policies based on mac address to allow the random controller based APs to work without breaking my IAP additions.

• 5.  RE: New IAPs automatically converting to campus AP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 04:15 PM
    Great stuff, glad you got to the bottom of it :)