Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 10:55 AM

I've confirmed connectivity on my laptop of the cable going to port 0.  RAP-5 comes up, and it has an IP address.  I give it the IP address of the controller (when connected to same cable I can DHCP and then connect to the controller IP from laptop), 

The Remote Access Point Provisioning Page initially shows the RAP has an IP, Link OK, and Gig connectivity.  I enter the IP of the controller, and then the says receiving IP information, then moves to "Continuing".  At that point the RAP displays no IP and stops functioning (except to open up additional browser tabs).

Controller only has 1 AP on it.  I never see this AP show up in the list.

The PDF says some debugging is possible.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 2.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 10:58 AM

You can do the following :

show datapath session | include 4500 , this is the port it uses on the controller

show crypto ipsec sa , make sure Phase 1/2 is working 

for debudding purposes you can use this :

logging debugging security process crypto

• 3.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 10:58 AM

Make sure that you have the mac of the RAP on the whitelist 

• 4.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:00 AM

What AOS do you have installed ?

Because you might have to upgrade the backup flash 

See this post 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-apflash-backup-partition-or-how-do-I-upgrade-my-RAP5/td-p/5829

• 5.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:02 AM

• 6.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:03 AM

Is that a brand new RAP5 ?

You may need to do the flash backup upgrade to work on AOS 6.x.x.x

• 7.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:11 AM

I Googled that and isn't that a controller function?  How can I flash-backup an AP that won't connect to the controller?  Is there a way that I am missing to console directly to this AP?

• 8.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:13 AM

In order for you do this your controller needs to be on a AOS 5.x.x.x so this way the RAP can connect to the controller and then upgrade the backup flash.

• 9.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:23 AM

Ok thanks

• 10.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:26 PM

I also believe TAC can assist with this as they have a controller that this RAP can connect to for this purpose.

• 11.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 04:11 PM
      |   view attached

Still no luck.  The AP never comes up enough to flash it.

Attachment(s)

txt
    remote AP woes.txt   19 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:22 PM
    It keeps saying image version mismatch .

Can you plead what steps did you take ?

• 13.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2013 10:02 PM

WiFi_Willie

seems due to "too old" provisioning image, from your log you can see the RAP still has 3.x RN code as the provisioning image:

Jul 26 02:56:21  KERNEL(00:0b:86:66:8f:08@192.168.1.23): ArubaOS Version 3.3.2.11-rn-3.0.1 (build 21263 / label #21263

As Seth mentioned in a previous post, please open a tac case to have them help you flash the RAP up to version 5.0.x as the provisioning image. Or, if you have a spare controller, you can do this process yourself by putting latest 5.0.x onto the spare controller, bringing the RAP up fully (make sure it is 100% UP and ok), then use the CLI command apflash ap-name <the ap> backup-partition

You can search airheads for some examples of this command, e.g.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-apflash-backup-partition-or-how-do-I-upgrade-my-RAP5/td-p/5829

Note that the 'backup-partition' option is no longer available in 6.x and higher hence this procedure must be run from a 5.0.4.x controller. The command will take a few minutes (or longer if the WAN link is bad) to push the image to the AP and then write it to flash. This is the same process as TAC will take you through.

regards

-jeff

• 14.  RE: New RAP-5 won't find controller on same switch

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:00 AM

Perhaps I was being dense.  I assumed the thing would come up as an "un-provisioned AP" and then I could copy/paste the Whitelist info.  Lemme add it manually.