Wireless Access

Contributor I

Re: New to Aruba -- seperate vlans for users and APs

(Hash or Even) not sure, just started to research them.  I guess the controller doesn't know when the DHCP scope is almost full?  Which would would be recommended?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

The controller does NOT know. The nest strategy is to allow for 20% more than you will need and keep your dhcp leases as low as possible.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Highlighted
Contributor I

should be my last question,  can I initially start with 1 vlan and add others as I need to?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Absolutely. When you add another vlan to the virtual ap pool all of your users have to reassociate, though.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Contributor I

Ok, thanks again.  Should outdoor APs use the same VLAN pool or separate VLAN pools?  The reason I ask is due to the high possibility a user will be walking across the turf and pickup another buildings AP.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If there is overlapping coverage, use the same pool so that the user has a seamless experience. If you use a different vlan for users, you will almost guarantee a disconnect during roaming.

Just to be clear, the vlan that an access point gets is completely separate from the vlan that a user is assigned when he is associated to that wlan. The IP address of the ap is assigned when it boots up. The vlan of the user is assigned by the virtual ap. In practice, your access points can be on different subnets, but the user traffic is tunneled back to the controller so they are assigned to a consistent subnet regardless of the access point they are associated to.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Contributor I

Got it, thank you.  I'm thinking having a pool of multiple /24 since we do have a lot of overlapping coverage in a campus. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: