Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Aug 04, 2014 09:22 PM

Hey all,

I just wanted to share a simple Perl tool I threw together.  It's designed to take a list of APs from a CSV file, and throw whitelist and provisioning commands at a controller, saving a whole pile of copy/paste between spreasheets and terminals.  Just create the file, launch the script, and take a leisurly lunch while your APs are automatically provisioned!

Please feel free to send me any comments or feature requests.

https://github.com/fsweetser/aruba-autoprov

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Aug 04, 2014 09:43 PM

Thanks for this.  A bit too late for us, unfortunately, since we just finished provisioning the last large batch of APs today, but we had cobbled something similar together.

My primary suggestion would be to prompt for pass/enpass if not provided, so it isn't passed via the CLI.  Also to not require an enable password, since "enable-bypass" may be configured.

• 3.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Aug 05, 2014 09:09 AM

Thanks, those are definitely good suggestions!  I should be able to have them integrated in the next couple of days.

• 4.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 02:37 PM

Nice work!  

• 5.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Oct 06, 2014 05:46 AM

How do I run the pearl script again the file and controller?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Oct 06, 2014 08:36 AM

You'll need to run this from a Linux system (it *might* be possible using perl on windows, but I haven't tried it at all, and suspect some of the modules may be non-trivial to get working).

First, create a CSV file containing your  MAC addresses, AP names, and profiles to assign.  Take a look at the sample waps.csv from the git repo.  I highly reccomend you only start off with one or two to make sure it works for your setup first.

Now you can just run the script, passing it at least your controller name.  You can override the defaults for the CSV name and username, and you will be prompted for passwords if you don't provide one.  Just run the script with --help to see all of the available options.

• 7.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 19, 2016 03:45 PM

Frank,

This is extremely helpful. I'm in the process of adding needed perl mods to try to get this working.

We're swapping old APs with new and this is what I want to use the script for. The AP-Names will be the same. Is it possible to tweak the script so that it looks for and deletes the existing "status Down" AP with the same AP-Name before provisioning? Given that we can't have two APs with teh same name doing this is a critical step.

Thanks,

Mike

• 8.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 10:14 AM

Mike,

Did you ever modify the script to replace APs and get it to work?  If so, would you mind sharing?  I didn't think we could just add new with the same name and that would replace - thought there was some other process/workflow to use.

• 9.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 13, 2017 01:37 PM

Sorry, but I've since upgraded all of my gear to 6.4, so I've be using the whitelist based provisionining rather than working with this script.

• 10.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 20, 2016 07:08 AM

nice sharing.. but i do not have control-plane enabled in my infra.. how do i bypass it?

thanks

• 11.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 20, 2016 10:38 AM

Same here. I don't use control-plane security. Frank, while I could troll thorugh the script to remark the CPS sections would it possible to include a version with this removed?

Thanks for your work on this.

Mike

• 12.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 21, 2016 05:48 AM

BUMP ..

tested.. it doesn't work for me.. stuck at checking provisioning status.. any idea please?

ScreenHunter_400 Apr. 21 17.47.jpg

• 13.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 21, 2016 10:42 AM

What code rev are you working on?  I write this to (I think) 6.4.3, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the output I'm screen scraping has changed since then.

As an alternative, if you're on 6.4.4, you can just drop the AP name and group straight into the whitelist, and let the AP auto-provision itself:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Control_Plane/Whitelists_on_Campus_and_Remote_APs.htm

• 14.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted Apr 21, 2016 11:48 AM

I'm running 6.3.1.21. Control-plane security is not enabled.

Mike

• 15.  RE: New tool for (semi) automatic campus AP provisioning

Posted May 12, 2016 08:29 AM

@fsweetser wrote:

Hey all,

I just wanted to share a simple Perl tool I threw together.  It's designed to take a list of APs from a CSV file, and throw whitelist and provisioning commands at a controller, saving a whole pile of copy/paste between spreasheets and terminals.  Just create the file, launch the script, and take a leisurly lunch while your APs are automatically provisioned!

Please feel free to send me any comments or feature requests.

https://github.com/fsweetser/aruba-autoprov

Thanks!

Good Morning Frank,

Thanks for this wonderful tool! I was able to provision about 80 APs with their respected names in a matter of minutes with my MAC Address/Room Location CSV file. I was curious if you could add a column/feature where we can import the "SNMP System Location" (provision-ap syslocation "Ex: Jack #") from the CSV.

Jack #.PNG