Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Next Gen Wireless: 1-6 GHz

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Next Gen Wireless: 1-6 GHz

Posted Jul 30, 2014 09:17 PM

We have all read or heard about 802.11 ax. I really know next to nothing about it, but I came across an article that sparked my interest, something other than the gigabit speed.

Quoted from an article I read:

"Though the focus for 802.11ax deployment is the existing 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz unlicensed bands, additional bands between 1 GHz and 6 GHz may be added as they become available."

I tried to find some info on the "new" spectrum but had zero luck. If the new spectrum is allotted how long will it take to trickle down to the average joe. How many radios would be needed in a device to be fully capable at the range of 1-6 GHz. Would it even be possible in a mobile device? 

In order to make the certification do you think devices would have to support all possible spectrum?

Article here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/wi-fis-80211ax-standard-could-deliver-gigabit-speeds-devices/2014-07-13

• 2.  RE: Next Gen Wireless: 1-6 GHz

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:03 PM
    I would very much imagine the actual hardware would still fall into the bands we're used to today, simply because of regulatory restrictions.

Personally, I'm far more interested in how these hypothetical APs are going to backhaul to the wired network. Anyone heard rumors of a 48 port 10GbT PoE+ stackable switch yet?

• 3.  RE: Next Gen Wireless: 1-6 GHz

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:06 PM
    Sorry, meant to say restrictions already in place on the other bands, precluding their use by WiFi.