Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Node Hierarchy question

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Node Hierarchy question

Posted Jan 22, 2019 08:20 PM

I am setting up an Aruba Wireless network and I have figured out the majority of the requirements for our WLans.  It appears that everything is working well and now I have. to restructure things.

I have setup 2 Mobility Masters.

Then for the Managed Network, I have MD groups for each respected geographical location.  Then 2 x local controllers setup with VRRP for each MD Group.

Now my manager informed me that he would ike to stream-line the setup process by setting up as much configuration at the Managed Network level and only configure things at the Group level if necessary.

I have setup all of the configuration at the group levl for the Beta Site/Location.  It is working just fine.  My question is, if I place some of the same configuration (such as VLAN assignments and User Role Attributes, Policies) that can be considereed standard across all of the locations, what will happen to the BEta Site that already has the configurations in place?

• 2.  RE: Node Hierarchy question

Posted Jan 22, 2019 10:42 PM
    You can rename the Beta group and make that your global Folder/Group for all your sites

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Node Hierarchy question

Posted Jan 23, 2019 05:02 AM
      |   view attached

The existing group has a few VLan assignments that are not the same at all of the sites.  For example, We have an Internet Only VLan that is 10 or 30 at some locations; but at other locations the internet only vlan will be something else.

I do not wish to have all of the setting at the currently tested group level available to all of the other groups.

Question1:  If I enter some general configuration at the "Managed Network" level will the Group Level configurations be affected at all?

Question2: Is it possible to disable configuration inheritance of configuration for an MD Group from the node above it?

Another concern, if I have group1 all setup with VLan-1 = Employee WiFi.  Then, I setup VLan-1 - Employee at the Managed Network node level.  Will that create an additional Emplloyee VLan (Called Employee 2) at the Group Level where the that VLan is already setup?

If I setup an Employee WiFi WLAN (SSID) at the Managed Network level and that same SSID is already created at a Group Level(found lower), will there be a 2nd instance of the Employee WiFi automatically created Employee  WiFi 2?  Same quesitons for the AAA Profiles and such?

I would think that the lower group level settings would take precedence from the higher level settings; but, I do not think that I can remove the Higher level configurations from the lower levels.

• 4.  RE: Node Hierarchy question

Posted Feb 03, 2019 11:39 AM

think the solution will be to name the configurations from the Managed Network Level to have the letters "_MN" at the end.  That way we can easily distinguish from the configurations that are inhereited from the MN level and keep tehm separate from any other configurations below.

For example, we have a VLAN named 'Employees' at the Beta testing group level.  I can name this VLan 'Employees_MN' at the Managed Network level and slowly transition the WLAN settigns to use this otehr VLAN 'Employee_MN' and test it and then move on to the other configurations the saem way.