Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

Posted Feb 25, 2020 03:40 PM

Hi

We are running on a half floor 2 AP 325s either side of a wall with around 30 clients.

When in one of the small meeting room the WiFi analyser shows the dBm at -79. 

On mobility master the noise floor is -93

One client keeps reporting poor connection quality and sent a screen shot of the WiFi analyser

I work out this gives an SNR of 14.  This is deemed as pretty poor right ?  I am doing more investigation on where the device is etc however just wanted to get some thoughts on it there is anything from a settings perspective I can change with the ap or controllers that would help ? Is this just the case that the client device is not within a good enough range to the AP

• 2.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 03:50 PM

The "noise floor" is from the perspective of the device that measures it so it could be different or erroneous if one device is not calibrated, or if like your AP and adapter, have a different coverage pattern.  I would look at the client SNR, which more accurately depicts how well the AP sees the client.

• 3.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

Posted Feb 25, 2020 03:55 PM

Hi Colin

I took the noise floor from the view within mobility master when you select it from the filters.  Would this be accurate when being measured by the AP ?

• 4.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 03:57 PM

It could be, or it could be a bug.  A -79 noise floor is not enough to keep a client from connecting reliably.

• 5.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

Posted Feb 25, 2020 04:00 PM

Hi Colin

Apologies my definition was maybe confusing.

The noise floor shows all clients around -93 to -96

However this client in particular has a dBm or what is also referred to on some devices as RSSI showing in his WiFi analyser as -79dBm

• 6.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 05:11 PM

I don't expect any of those numbers to match, because they are taken from a different perspective: Client Perspective, AP perspective, Wifi analyzer perspective.

• 7.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

Posted Feb 25, 2020 05:15 PM

Ok that is fair.

In your opinion what would be best action to take to improve the clients dBm this improving SNR?

• 8.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 05:38 PM

Please post a screenshot so that we agree what we are discussing. 

• 9.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

Posted Feb 26, 2020 05:38 AM

Hi Colin,

This is the live client information now.  As well as a layout of the space

Screenshot at Feb 26 10-33-47.pngsite.png

• 10.  RE: Noise floor -93 dbm showing -79

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:34 AM

That graph is in SNR so the numbers are positive.  That graph is how well the access point can see the client, so the client must get closer so that the access point can see it better.   15 is low.  A good signal is 25 or more.   If you increase the transmit power of the access point, that number will not change.  Where is the client in the diagram?  The "show ap association client-mac <mac of client>" will show you the SNR in 60 second updates, so that you don't have to keep on refreshing the gui...