Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Not All Chromecasts are Visible

So I may have this issue fixed. You mentioned the auto-associate option before. I decided to set it to AP-Group and almost instantaneously was able to see all Chromecasts that were currently on in building. Fingers crossed that this has remedied my problem!

I'll monitor things the rest of the day and see if it continues to work and then come back and update this post.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey, can you explain where in the config this is?  Or even show a screen shot?  

Highlighted
Contributor I

Configurations > Advanced Services > AirGroup > Services

It will be under the Auto-Associate column.

I also ended up setting it to AP-Name, which only allows users to see a couple of chromecasts in their immediate area. It has been working great ever since making that change.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I too use many Chromecasts in my elementary schools, and have seen some of them not consistently show up frm time to time.  Was just curious if others have seen this.  So what exactly did you do again?

And thanks for the replies!

Highlighted
Contributor I

I setup a WPA2-PSK SSID and all student and staff chromebooks as well as classroom chromecasts connect to it. The staff chromebooks and chromecasts are assigned a user role that allows chromecasting to function where as the student devices get a role that blocks TCP/UDP 8008,8009, and 8443 so that they can't see the Chromecasts. The better method would probably be to use dynamic vlan assignment, but I'm not setup for that quite yet. I also have all of my AirGroup services set to AP-Name under the Auto-Associate column. This makes it so that a user can only see other chromecasts that are also connected to the same or neighboring AP's in that area.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Do your students use Chromebooks as well?  Do you know you can administratvely block "casting" to students if you are managing your chromebooks in the admin control panel?

Highlighted
Contributor I

I did realize that after I had already set everything up on the network side. Once I found out I could do that, I also disabled casting for students in the admin console.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: