Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Occasional Poor Channel Re-use

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Occasional Poor Channel Re-use

Posted Jun 04, 2015 02:34 PM

I'm occasionally seeing poor channel re-use on 5GHz.  Today, I have 3 APs all on the same channel within a relatively close space (50-60ft).  APs can hear eachother around -78 to -83, which is still high enough to trip CCA resulting in interference.  ARM should be a better judge than me by using its coverage/interference index, but I can't help but wonder how I can possibly end up with 3 APs on the same channel?  More importantly, do we have any control over this?  I'd like to believe I can get better channel re-use by adjusting some knobs.  Thoughts?

Anyone try static channel plans as an alternative?

• 2.  RE: Occasional Poor Channel Re-use

Posted Jun 04, 2015 02:51 PM
    Are you using 40 or 20 channels ?

• 3.  RE: Occasional Poor Channel Re-use

Posted Jun 04, 2015 03:14 PM

Good question!  20Mhz channels.

• 4.  RE: Occasional Poor Channel Re-use

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2015 03:25 PM

@thecompnerd wrote:

I'm occasionally seeing poor channel re-use on 5GHz.  Today, I have 3 APs all on the same channel within a relatively close space (50-60ft).  APs can hear eachother around -78 to -83, which is still high enough to trip CCA resulting in interference.  ARM should be a better judge than me by using its coverage/interference index, but I can't help but wonder how I can possibly end up with 3 APs on the same channel?  More importantly, do we have any control over this?  I'd like to believe I can get better channel re-use by adjusting some knobs.  Thoughts?

Anyone try static channel plans as an alternative?

You can start by looking to see what one of the access points sees to determine how well it sees all of those APs.  The "show ap arm state ap-name <name of ap>" will show you how it sees all other access points and how strong.  The "show ap arm rf-summary ap-name <name of ap>" command will show you what it thinks about the activity and quality on other channels.  Add up the interference indexes and see what the access point considers is the best channel for yourself.  An access point has to see a channel that is X amount better than the one he is on to actually change channels.  It does not automatically change because it shares the same channel with another access point.