Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

Posted Nov 16, 2016 05:38 PM

I never deployed an AP-275, but I'm testing it in my lab before the installation.

In the installation guide, it states that "The WAN port supports 802.3at Power over Ethernet (PoE), accepting 48 VDC (nominal) as a standard defined Powered Device (PD) from a Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE) such as a PoE midspan injector."  Does this mean that ONLY the WAN port will accept POE+ and, therefore, I should plug the ethernet cable from my switch into the WAN port instead of the LAN port?

I tried this scenario but it didn't work... with only the WAN port connected to a POE switch, the AP  powered on but it didn't work, if I connected both ports (WAN + LAN) it worked...

Is it the correct deployment?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Gian

• 2.  RE: On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 06:11 PM

You may need to give more information. But the WAN port should be the primary uplink for the AP, and is where the AP should get it's IP via DHCP and communicate with the network/controller through.

What switch are you connecting it to, and why are you using both interfaces? What is the LAN/second interface connected to?

And my apologies, I despise the WAN/LAN label, it should be ENET0 (WAN) and ENET1 (LAN). the ENET1/LAN port will not power the AP. Typically that port is only when you need to hang another network device off the AP (very rare).

• 3.  RE: On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 06:12 PM

Also, any POE (802.3at switch) must support LLDP, or the AP will not come up.

• 4.  RE: On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

Posted Nov 22, 2016 03:01 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you show me where can I find this requirement on User Guide:

Also, any POE (802.3at switch) must support LLDP, or the AP will not come up.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Gian

• 5.  RE: On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2016 10:46 AM

It doesn't need to be in a guide, LLDP is part of the 802.3at spec. However some switches will claim 802.3at support but NOT enable LLDP by default (Cisco will not enable LLDP by default as they have their own mechanism). So if your switch is 802.3at and DOESN'T supprt LLDP, then it shouldn't claim 802.3at. If it does support it, you will need to enable it. Hope that helps

• 6.  RE: On an AP-275, which ethernet port (WAN or LAN) do I connect to my switch to use POE for power?

Posted Nov 24, 2016 02:19 AM

Thanks for your support and explanation!

Best Regards

Gian