Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

One flexible AP for campus deployment?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  One flexible AP for campus deployment?

Posted Nov 16, 2011 11:00 AM

College environment, buildings from 1870 block construction, concrete fab construction, small house stick construction, buildings with metal-lattice interior walls etc. Currently we use about 570 of the AP65's where they're ceiling mounted and wall mounted, and it's nice to orient the antennas for horizontal coverage.

We're looking at starting an N design as a pilot (mark1, ap's, and works). I'd like to standaridize on AP indoor models simply for ease of replacement and spare AP pool. Is it possible to standardize anymore with the options of APs? I like the 125's to be able to orient the antennas properly, but it seems the 135's have a downtilt antenna that makes replacing 1-for-1 difficult when we built for coverage and not density (espicially replacing the 65's that are ceiling mounted with antennas oriented for horizontal coverage).

Personally, I'd like to make new builds for density, but we've got a large investement in the existing placements.

Any suggestions to begin research?

Regards

• 2.  RE: One flexible AP for campus deployment?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2011 11:16 AM

@dziemba wrote:

College environment, buildings from 1870 block construction, concrete fab construction, small house stick construction, buildings with metal-lattice interior walls etc. Currently we use about 570 of the AP65's where they're ceiling mounted and wall mounted, and it's nice to orient the antennas for horizontal coverage.

We're looking at starting an N design as a pilot (mark1, ap's, and works). I'd like to standaridize on AP indoor models simply for ease of replacement and spare AP pool. Is it possible to standardize anymore with the options of APs? I like the 125's to be able to orient the antennas properly, but it seems the 135's have a downtilt antenna that makes replacing 1-for-1 difficult when we built for coverage and not density (espicially replacing the 65's that are ceiling mounted with antennas oriented for horizontal coverage).

Personally, I'd like to make new builds for density, but we've got a large investement in the existing placements.

Any suggestions to begin research?

Regards

I would use the 135 or 105 for ceiling mount and the 134 with ANT-1b for the wall mount. If you want to standardize, just go with the 135 and 134+ANT-1b.

Zach

• 3.  RE: One flexible AP for campus deployment?

Posted Nov 16, 2011 10:13 PM

I agree with Zach on this one.

• 4.  RE: One flexible AP for campus deployment?

Posted Nov 17, 2011 03:08 PM

Ok, good idea, thanks all.