Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Options for my AP-225s

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Options for my AP-225s

Posted Jul 08, 2020 03:25 PM

I goofed up.  I went on Ebay on bought two AP-225s so I could get some familiarity with the Aruba line.  I meant to buy some IAP-225s and didn't realize until too late that I hadn't bought some AP-225s.  These are only for my home but I'd be willing to setup some sort of controller to get them going.  What kind of options do I have here?  I'd be willing to put another $100 into some kind of controller for them but not exactly sure yet.  I have a VM environment as well if there some kind of controller I can deploy for a handful of APs.

I may be able to return them to the seller but I am trying to avoid that.

• 2.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

Posted Jul 08, 2020 04:17 PM

You can install MC-VA on VMware and terminate APs on it.

• 3.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

Posted Jul 08, 2020 04:25 PM

Mobility Controller VM would be cool.  Does it have a long term license that be used for 2 APs?

• 4.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

Posted Jul 08, 2020 04:38 PM

VM Licensing Start from 10APs

Aruba MC-VA-10 Virtual Mobility Controller License

• 5.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

Posted Jul 08, 2020 05:12 PM

eww... It's like about $1,000 for that license.  Appreciate your insight but I'm looking for a little less upstart cost.  Is there an old controller I can buy off ebay that we're sure could interface with these 225s?

• 6.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 05:44 PM

A 3200xm can get you going on a v6 environment, but not v8. I have found these kinds of controllers with a couple AP licenses for under $200. That's about as cheap as your going to get without having to purchase licenses with another model.

• 7.  RE: Options for my AP-225s

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 05:48 PM

Hi Shortcut,

• AP (campus) can't convert in IAP (instant) access points. You need a controller.
    • You can run a virtual MC but need some (trial) license:
      • MC-VA (count as controller+APs)
      • AP Capacity licence (count per AP)
    • You can look for a second hand controller, but be sure AP aswell the Controller are for the correct country code, and have at least some AP Capacity licence installed.
    • Note that a second hand controller is really hard to put on your own account without support of the first owner or TAC support, that will be ask for the purchase agreement. Without "transfer" the hardware to your own account you will not be able to buy some licences if needed (at least AP capacity is required).
    • If your are Aruba partner you can create 90 day trial licenses.

Your best bid is to send them back to your reseller and look for some Instant AP (IAP) that can be run controller-less and full featured.