Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 22, 2017 03:54 PM

We have a few 205 IAPs and they don't seem to respond to ARP requests from wired connection and neither from wired lan. Any idea what could be wrong with their configuration?

• 2.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 04:14 PM
    What's the output of the console on boot up of the IAP?

• 3.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:01 AM

Hmm, I'm a newbie with Arubas, so I don't even know how to see that boot screen?

• 4.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 04:24 PM

@sohannin wrote:

We have a few 205 IAPs and they don't seem to respond to ARP requests from wired connection and neither from wired lan. Any idea what could be wrong with their configuration?

When you say "arp requests", what are you trying to do?

• 5.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 12:57 AM

Trying to ping them. They respond intermittently to ping, but not always. I see a lot of destination unreachable messages for packets destined to them.

• 6.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:29 AM

Are those APS present in the CAM/ARP table of the layer 3 switch?

• 7.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:34 AM

No, they don't seem to appear there either. Other devices from the same network are in the arp table.

• 8.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2017 02:36 AM

Do you have the AP plugged into ethernet 0?

• 9.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 03:43 AM

Yes, that is the case. They respond sometimes.

• 10.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 12:45 PM

A correction: I checked again and they actually show up in the ARP table of the switch. When pinged e.g. from workstation, the workstation sends ARP broadcast, but never receiving response from the device attached to the same switch. I still see the same IAP sending broadcasts itself, asking for MAC of other devices (IAPs) on the same network.

• 11.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 12:58 PM

I checked the IAP configuration again and noticed one thing. The native VLAN has been defined as 16. The management ip should be on VLAN 15, but the uplink management VLAN has been defined as 0, which based on manual means that the packets are being sent with VLAN 16, am I correct?

• 12.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:15 PM

If the uplink vlan is 0, that means the management traffic is sent to the underlying network untagged.

• 13.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 01:58 PM

Okay, that means they anyway end up in wrong VLAN since switch's default VLAN is 1. There are some notes in user guide stating "Ensure that the native VLAN of the IAP and uplink are not the same." That would solve my problem without configuring each IAP separately, but why is that a bad idea i.e. what breaks?

--

Edit: how stupid of me. :) Even if I put the Native VLAN to 15, they would end up at VLAN 1 since that means they are being sent untagged. I would rather have to either configure each IAP with Uplink VLAN 15 or the switch port Untagged 15, right?

• 14.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2017 02:24 PM

Do these APs use static ip addresses or do they get their addresses from DHCP? 

• 15.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Feb 23, 2017 02:29 PM

They use DHCP.

• 16.  RE: Our IAP 205 doesn't respond to ARP broadcasts

Posted Mar 14, 2017 06:15 AM

Update:

The uplink management VLAN was 0 and PVID of the switch was set to VLAN 10. The IAPs started responding correctly, when we changed the Uplink management VLAN to VLAN 10 from zero. The switch port is a hybrid port with Tagged VLANs 10 and 11.