Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

Posted Dec 11, 2011 06:45 AM

Greetings,

I would appreciate if someone can help.

I have an outdoor mesh link comprising of 3 sites portal plus 2 points. I see Six bars for Radio a on Access Point but when i see mesh nodes on the controller it gives me following stats. The is is too bad to work. Can someone explain what is path cost and link cost why these values are high. Thanks.

Cluster Namearuba-mesh
    Band/Channel/EIRP/MaxEIRP802.11a/161/0/0
    Path Cost11
    Node Cost2
    Link Cost10
    Hop Count1
    Link Quality10
    Enet 0/1Bridge
    Mesh RolePoint
    No. of Children1

• 2.  RE: Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2011 07:44 AM

The cost (path and link) are only useful when there is more than one way to get back to the portal.  What is striking about that output is link quality.  It is in RSSI and you are right 10 is almost unusable.  You should be getting at least 20.

How far apart are these devices?

How high are they mounted?

What terrain is between the devices?

Has this link ever been good?

Please check out the Point-to-Point application note here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/AP_OutdoorPointToPoint.pdf

• 3.  RE: Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

Posted Dec 11, 2011 07:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Less than 2 KM apart

On top of 5 floor building

terain residential houses

Yes has been working for more than 2 years.

• 4.  RE: Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2011 08:13 AM

It is possible that the antennas are now not aligned correctly?  That RSSI is very low.

• 5.  RE: Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

Posted Dec 11, 2011 01:18 PM

Antennas are aligned. I can see RSSI 6 bars out of 7on Access Point LEDs. 6out of 7 seems to be a very good RSSI. But when I check on the controller on Mesh nodes statistics it shows below 10 signal quality with high value of path cost and link cost (as stated earlier). That's why i am confused. What i think that there is interference from some other nearby radios which is creating noise and detoriating the link quality. I don't know how to deal with this problem.  

• 6.  RE: Outdoor Mesh (AP-85TX)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2011 01:36 PM
    My guess would be the interference. RSSI can be great, but SNR can still be bad. Not sure where you live, but around here Comcast has outdoor APs that pump out extremely high signal strength on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, thereby causing tons of noise on our outdoor APs.