Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Over subscription

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Over subscription

Posted Feb 15, 2018 09:59 AM

Hello, I have a question regarding Aruba OS 8.

If I cluster together two controllers running AOS8, each supporting 512 APs and one of them fails, will the other controller take over the extra 512 APs with over subscription for the time it takes to change the faulty controller?

In ArubaOS 6.5 this function existed, and I was just wondering if this function is still available in AOS8. It is an inportant factor when I upgrading.

• 2.  RE: Over subscription
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 15, 2018 08:20 PM
    The oversubscription in AOS 6.x is for the standby tunnels when using HA

In AOS 8 Since each AP in cluster will have a AAC and S-AAC , I assume oversubscription for standby tunnels also is taken in consideration

• 3.  RE: Over subscription

Posted May 06, 2019 04:43 AM

Hi, would a virtual controller also support oversubscription?

• 4.  RE: Over subscription

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 06:04 AM

In what context?

• 5.  RE: Over subscription

Posted May 06, 2019 06:22 AM

Hi Colin

Well, with OS6 HA a 72xx controller can terminate 4 x it's capacity of backup tunnels. Can a VM50 be a Standby AAC for more than 50 AP's?

• 6.  RE: Over subscription

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 06:56 AM

With clustering "oversubscription" causes standby tunnels to be dropped in favor of active tunnels regardless if you are using VMCs or Hardware Controllers.  If an access point comes up on a controller that is at "standby" capacity, one standby tunnel is dropped to allow that AP to come up.  For example, if an entire controller fails and that puts you systemwide at more than 50% AP capacity, standby tunnels will be removed to allow active AP tunnels to establish.

I hope that makes sense.

• 7.  RE: Over subscription

Posted May 06, 2019 07:05 AM

Yes that makes sense. I understand that the standby tunnels will drop when needed. However, I think what I'm looking for is the 'standby capacity' for the VMC's (?) A 72xx can serve up to 4 x it's active capacity for standby tunnels if I'm not mistaking. With a 70xx there is no 'oversubscription' possible. But what about VMC? Let's say we have 2 x 7010's with 64 AP's. At that point they are at their capacity. What VMC should I add to have Clustering HA? VA50 or VA250?

• 8.  RE: Over subscription

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 07:20 AM

The "4x its standy capacity" is really only for HA in 6.x, where redundancy is configured manually.  The 4x number is for planning.  In 8.x, there is no "4x capacity" concept, because redundancy is done dynamically.

You should only have the same model of controllers in a cluster to avoid any issues with attempting to compute what access points will have redundancy. 

If you only plan on 50% AP capacity in a cluster, you will have full redundancy.  If you are at more than 50% APs capacity in a cluster, needless to say, some APs will not have full redundancy if a controller fails.

If you haven't, please see the cluster manager webinar here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Technical-Webinar-Recording-Slides-ArubaOS-Cluster-Manager/m-p/297761?author_id=35349&collapse_discussion=true&filter=authorId&page=2&q=technical%20webinar&search_type=thread

• 9.  RE: Over subscription

Posted May 06, 2019 11:46 AM

Thx Colin!