Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 24, 2017 09:22 PM

I recently purchased PEF licensing for our 650 and the the keys get applied fine but when I reboot the controller the licensing for just the PEF is gone.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

• 2.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 25, 2017 03:25 AM

Hey, is the license correctly registered to the controller? Do you see anything in the logs (#show log all) when applying the license and after rebooting the controller?

Also is the clock correctly set on your controller? I know this can cause issues sometimes.

• 3.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 25, 2017 03:15 PM

The date/time are correct. Unfortunately I really don't know what to look for in the log and I only have select times when I can reboot the controller. Are there any keywords or the like that I can search for?

• 4.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 25, 2017 04:17 PM
    Hey, try "license" or "add" when you look. I assume your not using centralised licensing either? It is very odd I must say. You can make other changes to the controller right, it's not got a messed up file system or anything?

The only other way I can think is to import the license and don't reboot then export again?? On the cli type "license export <FILE name="">". This will create a file in flash with the name you provided. That file can be copied off the controller via FTP or TFTP and can be copied back down and loaded using the command "license import <FILE name="">".

Maybe the above will work? If you can post the output of tech-support and we can review</FILE></FILE>

• 5.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 25, 2017 04:20 PM

So I added one of the license keys and found Apr 25 12:11:15  webui[1625]: USER:admin@192.168.168.159 COMMAND:<license add "IX0fIvbz-U/MK0jKS-akUvgG95-y05/S3ws-4VItXMnl-7WU" > -- command executed successfullythis log entry...

I'll reboot when I have a chance and see what I find. And yes I can make other changes without issue.

• 6.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 25, 2017 04:42 PM

I've uploaded the Tech-Support report.

Thanks 

• 7.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

MVP
    Posted Apr 25, 2017 06:07 PM

If licenses are disappearing I'd call techsupport.

On the other hand.. while usefull to troubleshoot, I still wouldn't post complete techsupport files on public forums. There might be some confidential info in there (like your entire configuration).

• 8.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 25, 2017 06:30 PM

And I thought this was a trustworthly public forum lol...but thanks and removed.

• 9.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 26, 2017 03:22 PM

So unforutantely I'm getting the runaround from tech support seeing as this is a Dell branded 650 although the licensing was purchased from Aruba. The unit cannot be put under warranty with Dell because of the age of the unit and they won't help. So I've called sales and asked for assistance with the matter.

Just wondering if there is anyway this issue could be related to something with the physical controller?

• 10.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 26, 2017 04:27 PM

FWIW...we are running 6.4.4.1

Would it be worth trying 6.2.1.9 instead? Thats the OS on the other partition.

• 11.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 05:44 PM

I will say that an Aruba license is not meant to be applied to a Dell Controller.  The serial numbers are different, so I don't know how you registered the certificate ID and then applied it.

• 12.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 26, 2017 06:57 PM

My apologies Colin the licenses were 'purchased' from Dell but the license keys I received came from Aruba. Nevertheless I dont really understand the position from either side (Dell or Aruba)...so far neither side is willing to help resolve the issue.

• 13.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 09:50 PM
    Are the license keys the only thing that disappears? Does the time stay correct?

• 14.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 02, 2017 03:23 PM

No issue with losing the time or anything else I can see. The AP & POE licensing stays as well.

• 15.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted Apr 30, 2017 09:54 PM

Hi Tim,

Did you perform one of the following steps post adding licenses:

1. Execute the command "wr mem" from CLI

2. Clicked on "Save configuration" option from WebUI.

• 16.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 02, 2017 03:25 PM

Yes I have tried the WebUi, WebUI wizard and the CLI always saving the config and all with the same results.

• 17.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 02, 2017 03:29 PM

One thing I haven't tried is a factory reset just not sure that would change anything as I would need to restore the config anyway. Would it make any sense to go back to a previous OS version? I have 6.2.1.9 on partition 1

• 18.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 02, 2017 06:47 PM

By chance does Aruba offer single incident support?

• 19.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 03, 2017 04:34 AM

Hi Tim,

Please open a TAC ticket as this could be firmware related issue as well.

• 20.  RE: PEF Licensing Disappears After Reboot

Posted May 03, 2017 02:14 PM

Thank you for your response. The unit is currently not under any maintenance/warranty agreement and is a Dell branded unit. Dell will not warranty the unit nor will their 3rd party service provider.

Does Aruba do per incident support? Would they support a Dell branded unit?