Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Packet Loss

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Packet Loss

Posted Apr 10, 2016 06:48 PM

I have deployed almsot 3000 225, 224 and 205 APs.  This has only happened twice.  Most recently on IAP with 6 205's.  Wired clients do not have packet loss, if you run a constant ping inside or outside the network every couple mintues you get dramatic packet loss.  It is so bad that you lose connectivity to the virtual controller, sometimes.  I have watched the clients connect, stay connected although they cannot reach any network resources or the internet.  Noise doesn't appear to be the problem.  Load isnt either this happens with 2 clients or 30.  I am running what ever version Taurus is.  No idea what is causing the problem. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Packet Loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2016 07:24 PM
    What version of IAP is this?
    What is the RF utilization on the AP with the problem?

• 3.  RE: Packet Loss

Posted Apr 10, 2016 08:09 PM

Aruba Instant Taurus 6.4.4.4-4.2.3.0-54225

See attached for network utilization.  I probably need to mess with the channels a bit. 

dms troubleshooting 4 8.png

• 4.  RE: Packet Loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2016 08:17 PM

- Your power is too high.  Under RF> Show Advanced, Make the Minimum Transmit Power 12 and the Maximum Transmit  15.

- You are using 80 mhz channels when you should use 20 or 40 mhz channels.  Under RF> Show Advanced, Change 80 Mhz Support to Disabled.

- In your SSID, under Advanced Make Sure that Broadcast Filtering is changed to ARP.

After you do that, take another screenshot of your APs and do another test...

• 5.  RE: Packet Loss

Posted Apr 10, 2016 08:26 PM

Thank you.  I am visiting the client in the morning and this will help.  I do know that I changed broadcast filtering to ARP after reading here and seeing it first hand. Thought I had disabled 80mhz, was a late night.  Thank you for catching that. 

I will update results in the morning.  Thank you for your help!

• 6.  RE: Packet Loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2016 08:41 PM

Your screenshot shows that the 2.4ghz utilization is too high for essentially no clients on your network.  That is why the power should be reduced.  How many SSIDs are there?  That could also raise the RF utilization and create connectivity issues.  Also, make sure broadcast filter ARP is enabled on ALL SSIDs.

• 7.  RE: Packet Loss

Posted Apr 10, 2016 08:43 PM
    That makes sense. 2 SSID's. One is a guest network.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

• 8.  RE: Packet Loss

Posted Apr 12, 2016 01:03 AM

This helped as far as connectivity to the aps. but not for packet loss.  Juniper support is saying it's STP on the Juniper switch.  Which seems like a long reach but inside the network pings are fine, even creating a test SSID and using the internal Aruba DHCP still pings outside the network are dropping.  Maybe the Cisco ASA.  I have seen this in our larger 225 deployments but I have had a whole cluster act this way.  Happened this evening and we narrowed down a Microsoft Surface Book with bad NIC drivers, but i don't think that's the case in the other instances I have seen. 

• 9.  RE: Packet Loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 12, 2016 05:51 AM

Can you get the Tech Support from the Virtual Controller?  If you PM me your email address, I will send you a link to send it to me.