Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Parking lot mesh hardware for security cameras

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Parking lot mesh hardware for security cameras

Posted Oct 01, 2019 07:46 PM

What is everyone doing for outdoor mesh/parking lot security cameras? I have a setup that is currently one Portal and 5 Points, 100'-225' between light poles about 25' tall, max 2-3 hops. I need to provide wireless backhaul for wired security cameras, and provide client access at the same time (second priority).

I put out some AP-365s just to get it going, and they are working, but I don't believe they are the best fit here. I think their antennas have a little too much down tilt, especially for the longer 200+' spans? They seemed to flap a lot at first but have settled down now, and getting at worst a 20-25 SNR to their parent and 100+mbps, so I suppose that isn't terrible. But when the security cameras start streaming or turn up their frame rates, the radio utilization seems to impact the entire group to the point where they acutally drop off the network. I've verified with TAC there is apparently no way to do any type of QoS or rate limiting when doing wired bridging, so I can't 'force' the cameras to stay under the AP/mesh network capability. 

What are better alternatives? AP-318s (in an enclosure) or AP-374s with external Omni antennas mounted to the tops of the poles? But both of those have six antenna connectors, I was hoping to only have to mount a pair of dual band omnis.. Do I really need six or even four (2x 5ghz and 2x2.4ghz) antennas? There is not a whole lot of details in the data sheets or hardware guides on what antenna configurations are supported. Do I need to fill all antenna connectors, or just some of them? I understand i'll still have to deal with the utilization and running a single mesh channel, but if I can increase the SNR and bit rate I'm hoping it will be less of an issue. 

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Parking lot mesh hardware for security cameras

Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:39 PM

Honestly that is not a far distance since I am running mesh over 500Ft. Personelly I would stay away from 365 for outdoor since the 370 series APs are stronger just like previous 270 series. Have you tried increasing the EIGRP limits on them to see if you get a different feel?

• 3.  RE: Parking lot mesh hardware for security cameras

Posted Oct 02, 2019 02:08 PM

Yeah I have the power set with airmatch freeze on them, tried to find a balance between max power and a solid SNR, but some of them ended up at max ~29 EIRP anyway. In theory the 365s should be fine here, and are much cheaper than the 375s, I just wish they had an external antenna version so I could change to a more appropriate antenna. So I guess that's my question, what is the next best alternative, I suppose the 374 really is it.