Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

Posted Jun 10, 2015 03:02 AM

Dear All,

One of my customer facing GSM interefence on 2.4 band.  I just heard that aruba has launched a patch that mitigates the 3G or GSM interference.

Anybody know about that ??? If yes please share the name of the patch also share the link from where I can download.

• 2.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:24 AM
    Cellular interference is typically a hardware, not a software issue. The solution is typically to move an access point more than 5 feet away from the DAS or cellular antenna. Also, not all cellular frequencies interfere or cause issues with wifi.

How does your customer know that there could be cellular interference in the first place?

• 3.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:38 AM

Recently 3G infrastructure has been deployed at the customer site. Before this deployment 2.4 band was working fine (no consecutive ping drops/ high delay). After 3G deployment customer is experiencing high ping drops/delays on 2.4 band.

Moreover customer has informed me that whenever they shutdown the 3G infrastructure everything will be going working smooth as soon they power on the 3G infrastructure 2.4 band users are experiencing ping drops and high latency

Exactly the same as you mentioned, the ap's are almost 5 to 10 feet away from the Cellular devices.

Looking forward.

• 4.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:41 AM

What model of access point is this?  Have you been onsite to observe this at the customer?

• 5.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:49 AM

No. I didnt visit to the customer site yet. But customer is well competent. 

Soultion at customer site 3400 controller with AP model 93 and 105. The current solution was running smoothly since 2012. After the 3G deployment the performance of the same solution gets degrades.

Whenever customer shut down the 3G infrastructure at all over the building everything will run smoothly..

• 6.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:53 AM

Unfortunately there are only certain access points that have a cellular filter (ACC) in hardware:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-Advanced-Cellular-Coexistence-ACC-and-which-Aruba-AP/ta-p/178074

The AP93 and AP105 do not have cellular filters.

• 7.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference

Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:56 AM

I want to know is there any patch to mitigate the 3G/4G interference ???

• 8.  RE: Patch required for mitigation of 3G or GSM Interference
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 07:00 AM
    Again, there is no patch, because it is a hardware issue, not a software issue. The access points in the article above have a hardware filter to mitigate the cellular issue. The AP-105 and 93 predate hardware cellular filters.

I would deploy one of the access points on the list in the article at the customer site to see if it helps in that specific situation.