Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Persistent and Backup ssid questions

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Persistent and Backup ssid questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2013 07:12 AM

Hi,

I was wondering about persistent and backup ssids and are they only available exclusively for RAPs or normal APs provisioned as RAPs?  Can I set this on a CAP, beit with cpsec and bridge mode?

Normally with a bridge ssid using dot1x auth for clients, the controller still handles the dot1x stuff, and all other traffic is bridged. 

If the ssid is persistent, as is recommended for dot1x, does this mean that the dot1x stuff is also bridged, or is it that the auths start to be bridged as well when the controller is unreachable?

What about persistent dot1x, controller down and clients roaming?  Are the master keys, or whatever they are, still distributed amongst APs, or will a roaming client cease to work?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Persistent and Backup ssid questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2013 08:54 AM

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering about persistent and backup ssids and are they only available exclusively for RAPs or normal APs provisioned as RAPs?  Can I set this on a CAP, beit with cpsec and bridge mode?

Normally with a bridge ssid using dot1x auth for clients, the controller still handles the dot1x stuff, and all other traffic is bridged. 

If the ssid is persistent, as is recommended for dot1x, does this mean that the dot1x stuff is also bridged, or is it that the auths start to be bridged as well when the controller is unreachable?

Thanks

- Persistent and Backup SSIDs are only available for RAPs.  The user guide states this.

- When you say the auth is bridged, what do you mean?

• 3.  RE: Persistent and Backup ssid questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2013 04:03 PM

I meant the user dot1x auth.  In a bridge ssid with rap-operation normal the controller handles the dot1x stuff, with all other traffic bridged.  Is this still the case with rap-operatin of persistent?

• 4.  RE: Persistent and Backup ssid questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2013 04:04 PM

new authentication only occurs if the access point has contact with the controller

• 5.  RE: Persistent and Backup ssid questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2013 07:24 PM

ok, thanks Colin.