Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Aug 19, 2013 05:03 PM

When my AP-105's boot from my procurve switches, I'm seeing them get denied POE from the switch due to insufficient power allocation. However, they should have plenty of power. I have even gone so far as to manually force allocation of an AP up to 30 watts, and it still throws the error. Has anyone else seen this?

Technical info:

Aruba AP-105s

HP Procurve 5412zl with POE+ modules and (1) POE+ PSU.

Total theoretical power available = 300 watts.

On the individual switch, there are a total of (4) APs, all AP-105s. 

There are (2) APs on module A, (2) on module B. 

All POE has been disabled on every other port in the switch.

Additionally, all ports except the AP ports are manuall set to allocate a max of 1 watt power (the minimum you can set).

My "show power brief" report lists 200 watts remaining available, and on slot A, 100 watts remaining power. Yet if I power-cycle an AP on module A, it tosses this:

-------

I 08/19/13 13:52:47 00560 ports: port A8 PD Detected.
    W 08/19/13 13:52:47 00566 ports: port A8 PD Denied power due to insufficient
    power allocation.
    I 08/19/13 13:52:49 00560 ports: port A8 PD Detected.
    I 08/19/13 13:52:49 00561 ports: port A8 Applying Power to PD.
    I 08/19/13 13:53:07 00076 ports: port A8 is now on-line
    I 08/19/13 13:53:29 00077 ports: port A8 is now off-line
    I 08/19/13 13:53:32 00076 ports: port A8 is now on-line

• 2.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Aug 20, 2013 12:17 PM

Dont you need 2 PSU's in the HP 5412 switch for it to allocate power correctly?

• 3.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Aug 21, 2013 10:54 AM

I think this has been happening even on dual-PSU units, but that's on my list to check this afternoon.

• 4.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 06, 2014 01:58 PM

We're having the same issue...  We've RMA'd the switch twice now and we can't seem to figure out (with HP's help) what's causing it.

Any success on your end?

• 5.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 07, 2014 02:29 PM

It might not be a problem of the switch, the problem could be the AP. I've seen a few of my AP-105 (only this model) "fail" on cisco switch PoE. I'll explain, the AP could be working fine on PoE power for weeks and even months but at some point the AP stopped working and all led stopped except for the power led that would flash red slowly.

I've had this problem on multiple cisco switch even different models, the error display by the switch would always be something like this :

Sep 23 18:57:37.542 UTC: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error,

Interface Fa0/12: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

Seems like the AP is asking to much power from the switch resulting in the switch denying power to the AP. However, using anything else than a PoE (801.af), like a power injector or PoE+ (801.at), the AP would work fine!

Try using power injector to give power to the AP, if the AP power fine from the injector it's probably that the AP is "broken" and cannot be powered with standard PoE.

I called Aruba TAC about this issue and they issued RMA for all my affected APs (3 in total)

• 6.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 07, 2014 02:49 PM

We put the AP on a PoE Injector yesterday and the same issue happened not two hours later..  I got back on the phone with HP and they suggested we disable the power to the ports not requiring it, keeping it to just the phones... so far so good, but sometimes we'll go on without noticing an issue for weeks.

• 7.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 07, 2014 04:17 PM

I have heard of this happening and I believe the recommended fix is to be sure hybrid spectrum monitoring is disabled. On the Insant GUI it's under Radio and is called "Background Spectrum Monitoring". 

• 8.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 07, 2014 04:21 PM

@Networker wrote:

I have heard of this happening and I believe the recommended fix is to be sure hybrid spectrum monitoring is disabled. On the Insant GUI it's under Radio and is called "Background Spectrum Monitoring". 

Do you mean on the Access Point interface?  We're powering the AP with a PoE Injector now, and the issue still occurs.  Are you suggesting that even while powered, this spectrum monitoring can cause the PoE Ports upstream on the switch to reset?

• 9.  RE: PoE allocation issues with HP Procurves?

Posted Feb 08, 2014 05:41 AM

Try setting the ARM to maintain channels. If that doesn't work, try disabling one of the AP radios.

I have seen something similar, but with AP225, so it might be different.

What code is the controller on?