Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Preprovisioning command

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:02 AM

Is there a command to replace the following for preprovisioning APs?

#local-userdb-ap add mac-address <mac-address> ap-group <ap_group> ap-name <ap_name>

• 2.  RE: Preprovisioning command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:03 AM
    Unfortunately, no

• 3.  RE: Preprovisioning command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:04 AM
    Is there a limitation with that command that you are trying to overcome?

• 4.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:10 AM

No. I'm trying to preprovision the APs so when I give them to the installers they will "work" right away once they plugged into the switch. Right now I'm handing the installers the APs and they are telling me when they are done then I have to provision them. Some of our installs are for about 35 APs when we are doing a whole building. I think it would be easier especialy if I can't provision them right away because busy dealing with other networking issures...

• 5.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:12 AM

Is there an alternative to that command ?

I would really like to be able to manualy add new AP from their mac address, so as i plug the AP for the first time it would already be configured in the right group.

• 6.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 14, 2015 05:21 PM
    if you know the Mac addresses of the APs then yes you can add them to the whitelist pre-install. if you only find out during installation then you're out of luck.

• 7.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 15, 2015 09:16 AM

>> you can add them to the whitelist pre-install

Can you explain how can I do that using cli or GUI ? Would I be able to select a ap-group for that pre-installed AP ?

• 8.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 15, 2015 10:08 AM

Yes I do know the MAC address ahead of time. Can you explain to me how to do that? They only thing I've seen is the RAP APs...

• 9.  RE: Preprovisioning command

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2015 10:09 AM
    You cannot pre provision APs.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 10.  RE: Preprovisioning command

Posted Sep 15, 2015 10:28 AM
    Small confusion, I misread the post.
    Tim is correct, you must attach an AP to a controller in order to provision it.
    You can add the whitelist entries to the desired controller but the AP must be provisioned.
    The only other way I see it is by purchasing IAPS, using activate to convert an IAP to a RAP after the IAP is plugged in and has internet access. You then whitelist the RAP into the correct AP-group and your AP is provisioned.