Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Private AP network over vlan on same copper as trusted.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Private AP network over vlan on same copper as trusted.

Posted Oct 03, 2018 10:23 AM

I have a question on setting up a private network for my AP's on the same copper as my trusted/guest traffic. The answer is probably obvious but I'm missing it.  Here's an example. 

Vlan 10 = Trusted Network 10.10.10.0

Vlan 20 = Guest Network  192.168.1.0

Vlan 30 = Aruba network (Private AP network) 192.168.2.0

I set the VLAN to use under the SSID configuration for Trusted and Guest Networks.  How do I get the AP's to automatically operate on VLAN 30?

My goal is to use DHCP with Option 60 for automatic deployment.

'm just not sure how to tell the AP's to use the VLAN. 

Putting the AP's on a seperate VLAN and private network also alows me to show some level of security greater than the 802.11x when running guest and trusted on the same network as our End user network.  I'm just not sure how to tell the AP's to use the VLAN. 

Any help is appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Private AP network over vlan on same copper as trusted.

Posted Oct 03, 2018 10:29 AM

Sorry Duplicate Post. 

• 3.  RE: Private AP network over vlan on same copper as trusted.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2018 01:42 PM

Are your APs running as campus APs (CAPs, controller-based) or Instant (IAPs)?

With Campus APs running in tunneled mode (the default), the copper port connecting to the AP only needs to contain the VLAN that the AP is connected to...in your case VLAN 30. The VLAN break-out for user/SSID traffic happens at the controller.

With IAP, the VLANs get tagged down to the APs, so your VLAN 30 needs to map to the management vlan configured on the cluster. By default, the management VLAN uses the native VLAN, so if your copper ports are configured as trunks with VLAN 30 as untagged, VLANs 10 and 20 as tagged, this should also work.

• 4.  RE: Private AP network over vlan on same copper as trusted.

Posted Oct 04, 2018 01:48 PM

CAP;s.