Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:45 AM

Question about the Hybrid Spectrum Monitors/Sensors. Currently, I have a 3400 series controller running 6.2.1.4. I created a new AP group and placed a number of RAP3 into the group. The RAP3s are up and servicing clients. But, I want to monitor spectrum where the RAPs exists.

So, I followed the steps in http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/RFSpectrumWLANsAppNote_20120514.pdf and enabled 'Spectrum Monitoring' for the 802.11a Radio in a dedicated RAP Group under the RF Management section.

When I click on the Spectrum Analysis Tab and try to add the provisioned RAP3 to the dashboard, I get the error:

"There are no spectrum monitors configured. Please configure spectrum monitors from CLI or Configuration tab in WebUI. Please refer the documentation for more details."

Is it possible to use a RAP3 as a Hybrid Spectrum Monitor/Sensor on a 3400 Series Controller(6.2.1.4).

• 2.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:48 AM

The RAP3 is a single radio (2.4GHz only), so enabling spectrum on the 802.11a radio will have no effect on it.

• 3.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:49 AM

I'm not 100% certain but I don't believe you can use a RAP3 as a spectrum monitor, certain not mentioned on the product page (where if you check the 105's for example it is listed as a feature..)

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/rap-3/

Maybe someone can confirm?

• 4.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks for the reply and info.

When I checked the RAP3 Specs page, I pulled the following info:

Operating Modes

• Wireless
      • 802.11b/g/n Mobility Controller-managed RAP
      • 802.11b/g/n Aruba Instant AP
      • 802.11b/g/n air monitor
      • Hybrid WLAN and air monitor

• 5.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:54 AM

Yes, but see my post above.  You made the change to the 802.11a radio profile.  The RAP-3 does not have an 802.11a radio; only 802.11b/g.    Try changing the 802.11g radio profile.

• 6.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:57 AM

Ahhhh! You're right. I'll update the correct radio profile and try.

• 7.  RE: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Posted Dec 18, 2013 12:08 PM

Okay. I removed the settings from 802.11a radio and applied to 802.11g radio.

I saved applied changes and saved the configs. After applying changes to the controller, I waited a couple of minutes and then rebooted the RAP.

After reboot, I verified connectivity from the RAP. No issues connecting to internet.

When I log into the controller and try to add/connect to the RAP from the dashboard, I still get error:

There are no spectrum monitors configured. Please configure spectrum monitors from CLI or Configuration tab in WebUI. Please refer the documentation for more details.