Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:07 AM

Hey together,

i´ve got a problem with a new AP-374 and my 7005 Controller. We´ve configured a WLAN on the controller and a AP-Group within 2 305-AP´s. And now i want to add the 374 to the group as well. That works fine so far, but the 374 wont send any WLAN-Signal.

I´ve connected a external antenna (JW024A) to the 374 (on Port 2G0).

Is there any configuration to be made? I´ve just provisioned the 374 accesspoint just the same way as the 305 AP´s.

Here you can see the options that i made for the 374:

374-Provision_Options.png

Is the antenna gain correct? Thas what i found in the installation guide.

P.S.: Sorry for the bad english, i´m from germany ;-)

Do you have any idea, why the AP-374 won´t send any WLAN signal?

Thanks for your support.

• 2.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:11 AM

Hello,

From what I can tell everything you have done there looks to be fine,

Can you confirm you have done the basics I.E., provisioned the AP int the correct AP group, Ensured the VAP's are enabled and so on?

If you can send the output of "# show running-config" we can see what it is that is going wrong?

@everyone, please correct me if I have missed anything 

Thanks in advance

Ben

• 3.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:22 AM

@carri124 wrote:

Hey together,

i´ve got a problem with a new AP-374 and my 7005 Controller. We´ve configured a WLAN on the controller and a AP-Group within 2 305-AP´s. And now i want to add the 374 to the group as well. That works fine so far, but the 374 wont send any WLAN-Signal.

I´ve connected a external antenna (JW024A) to the 374 (on Port 2G0).

Is there any configuration to be made? I´ve just provisioned the 374 accesspoint just the same way as the 305 AP´s.

Here you can see the options that i made for the 374:

374-Provision_Options.png

Is the antenna gain correct? Thas what i found in the installation guide.

Is this the only antenna connected to the 374? The antenna gain is correct for the 2.4GHz radio, but a 5GHz antenna gain of 28 is not valid with the information provided so far.

The antenna you mentioned provides two antenna leads, both of which need to be connected to the AP-374. Both the 2G0 and 2G1 interfaces should be connected to the antenna.

I'm assuming the the controller has been upgraded to 8.3.x since the AP-374 is available for provisioning, but want to rule out the obvious problem first.

Not knowing how the existing SSIDs are configured, from what you've described the is only a 2.4GHz antenna connected, with no antenna connected for 5GHz. If the SSIDs are configured for 5GHz, there will be no signal transmitted.

Any unused antenna connectors should have terminators installed to protect the radios. 

• 4.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:52 AM

Hey,

yes, it´s the only antenna connected. I had just connected only one lead, but now i connected both. But still no WLAN signal.

The controller has been updated to 8.3. yesterday.

Here you can see the config of the SSID / WLAN:SSID_Access.png

SSID_General.png

SSID_Security.png

I can´t find any option for 2,4 GHz or 5GHz in the WLAN / SSID setup.

Do you know what 5GHz gain is correct?

Thanks in advance!!

• 5.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:59 AM

@carri124 wrote:

Hey,

yes, it´s the only antenna connected. I had just connected only one lead, but now i connected both. But still no WLAN signal.

The controller has been updated to 8.3. yesterday.

Here you can see the config of the SSID / WLAN:SSID_Access.png

SSID_General.png

SSID_Security.png

I can´t find any option for 2,4 GHz or 5GHz in the WLAN / SSID setup.

Do you know what 5GHz gain is correct?

Thanks in advance!!

The gain for 5GHz will depend on the antenna connected. Currently there is have no 5GHz antenna connected, but 28 is typically too high. What is the part number of the other antenna you intend to use with this AP?

Every antenna connector on the AP should have something connected. If a 5GHz antenna is not being used, please ensure there are proper terminators installed.

• 6.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:05 AM

Hey,

this is the product number of the antenna connected:

JW024A

Does the 374 have any internal antenna that can be used?

Is it possible, that no signal will be sent, if not all connectors are connected?

Thanks!!

• 7.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:17 AM

@carri124 wrote:

Hey,

this is the product number of the antenna connected:

JW024A

Does the 374 have any internal antenna that can be used?

Is it possible, that no signal will be sent, if not all connectors are connected?

Thanks!!

The JW024A is a 2.4GHz only antenna. It sounds as though no 5GHz antenna was specified. In this case, there needs to be 3 terminators installed on the un-used 5GHz antenna connectors on the AP-374.

The AP-374 does not have internal antennas. The AP-375 or AP-377 both provide internally antenna solutions.

To see what what band(s) a WLAN can use, check the Virtual AP profile in the RF section. The allowed band setting determines whether an SSID operates in the g band (2.4GHz), the a band (5GHz), or both bands (2.4 and 5GHz bands).

• 8.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:26 AM

Thanks for your answer.

Here you can see what we configured in the RF section of the virtual ap:RF_VirtualAP.png

So i think, we should terminate the other connectors and see whats gonna happen.

Or do you have any othe idea what we can do?

Thank you very much for your support!

Steve

• 9.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:38 AM

@carri124 wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

Here you can see what we configured in the RF section of the virtual ap:RF_VirtualAP.png

So i think, we should terminate the other connectors and see whats gonna happen.

Or do you have any othe idea what we can do?

Steve

From that screen shot, the SSID should be on both bands, so that looks good.

At the beginning of this thread, the AP-374 is in the same AP group as the other existing APs, correct? Knowing that, I would check the controller to ensure that it sees the AP-374 as online and active (show ap active), and that it has received sufficient power to enable the radios. Finally, if all looks good there, we can verify that the AP is servicing the SSID as expected (show ap bss-table).

• 10.  RE: Problem with AP-374 and external Antenna
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:22 AM

Hey together,

for your information: The antenna / AP works fine now. I´ve connected both leads to the connectors and used a POE-injector (instead of the POE from my switch). Now everything works fine.