Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with Aruba and Android devices

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted May 16, 2013 08:53 AM

Hello Aruba community.

I have a Aruba3200 controller, and a 125 Access point.

I have laptops, iOS and Android based phones and tablets, and for some very annoying reason, two Android tablets are having issues with the network.

I have good signal strength, but sometimes, the network just doesn't respond. Webpages stops loading, mail isn't syncing and so on. And the only thing that works, is to disable wifi, and enable it again. This makes the network respond again. 

Is this something you guys have encountered before?

• 2.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

MVP
    Posted May 16, 2013 10:06 AM

I've had some interesting problems with Android devices in the past as well. I connected to a 802.1x network with WPA2 Enterprise TLS credentials and I received authentication errors after saving the login information. I've also experienced slowness and connection drop problems. I've used Apple OS devices and Windows OS devices on the same network with no connection or authentication problems.

• 3.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted May 16, 2013 11:49 AM

I have run into the same issues before with Android tablets.  But each case I've had the issue seems to be with the devices them selves. The network is working fine for other types of clients (iPhone, iPad, Windows7, Win Xp, etc).  Usually, after wasting a lot of time fussing around with Android device settings I have had to give u. 

I wonder if this is only an Aruba v.s Android compatibility issue or if it's there is something in the AOS configuration what can be tweaked for Android?

• 4.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted May 17, 2013 01:42 AM

Some additional details,

The Android devices work fine when used on other wifi networks.

Also, I can switch between 2,4ghz and 5ghz on the tablet and it makes no difference, each time I switch between them Wifi works for a few minutes, then it starts dropping.

Specifically, we have over four Google Nexus 7 at the office, and only one is presenting the issue, as well as my own Nexus 10.

I tried using client debugging in the Aruba interface, but that didn't seem to collect any data?

• 5.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2013 04:04 AM

We need more information.  What type of encryption are you using and what version of Android?

• 6.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted May 17, 2013 04:07 AM

Encryption is WPA2-PSK, and Android is version 4.2.2

• 7.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2013 04:10 AM

Are these the only devices that you have problems with?

• 8.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted May 17, 2013 04:15 AM

Yes, 

I have two theories, 

One, both the devices has a different wifi module than the others, and is somehow incompatible with the Aruba in some way.

Two, the two devices doesn't support the channels selected or similar, also due to different wifi module than the other Androids.

• 9.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

Posted Jan 25, 2022 10:15 AM
    Robert

Did you ever receive an answer from Aruba on this issue?  Were you able to correct the issue?

Ricky

------------------------------
    Ricky Morehart

• 10.  RE: Problem with Aruba and Android devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 25, 2022 05:37 PM

Hi Ricky,

Please open a new topic because this one is very old (2013).

Did you check your client capabilities on https://clients.mikealbano.com? It seems like the Nexus 7 with version <4.2 and Nexus 10  doesn't support a large number of channels  (5GHz channel 52 to 144).

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own