Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with DHCP Local L2

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 16, 2017 05:54 PM

Hi experts,

I am trying to understand the DHCP scope Local L2 in Instant. I have built a lab which is made up of one IAP, one router and one firewall, as illustrated below:

dhcplocall2.png

The configuration of the IAP is as follow

dhcplocall2iap.PNG

When I connect my laptop to the WLAN Test, it gets an IP in the 172.16.2.0/24 subnet but it can't access the Internet, even I can't ping the gateway 10.10.10.1. What am I missing?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 17, 2017 04:22 AM

Hey, did the IAP actually accept this configuration? My thoughts are that your client has an IP in the 172.16.2.x range but the clients default gateway is 10.10.10.1 which I expect wouldn't work? In Local L2 mode, the DHCP is completed by the IAP but the gateway would be hosted by another device in the same subnet e.g a core switch for the client vlan.

Are the VLAN's defined on 10.10.10.1 as well?

• 3.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 18, 2017 04:15 PM

Hi zailon0,

Yes, you are right, although the IAP did accept the configuration. Then, you think if the segment between the IAP and the router is in the 172.16.2.0/24 subnet and the default gateway is 172.16.2.1 (the router interface) the scenario would work, don't you?

Regards,

Julian

• 4.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 18, 2017 05:26 PM
    Yes, providing the vlans are available and and the router is able to provide vlan routing

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 19, 2017 01:53 PM

Hi zailon0,

After changing the segment between the IAP and the router to subnet 172.16.2.0/24 and the default gateway to 172.16.2.1 (the router interface), the WLAN works. The only thing I don't understand is it works if the VLAN of the DHCP server is 1, but if the VLAN of the DHCP server is other than 1 (2, 3, ...) it doesn't work. The IAP is directly connected to the router interface. Do you know the reason?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 19, 2017 06:33 PM

Hi zailon0,

Do you know the reason for what I explained above?

Many thanks,

Julián

• 7.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 03:04 AM

Hey, sorry I was busy and unable to respond sooner. Is your router able to understand vlan tag's?

• 8.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 20, 2017 12:11 PM

Thanks man.

I think it is, because I have been able to test the DCHP Local and DHCP Local L3 with VLANs other than 1.

On the other hand, I wanted to exclude some addresses as show below

dhcplocall2_bis.png

but I don't understant the red message. It seems you only can exclude the entire address range, which makes no sense. If a try to exclude the addresses separately like this

dhcplocall2_bis2.png

I test and the client is not able to obtain IP address, again it seems the Instant exclude the entire address range. And also I don't understand the help message. Do you know anything about this or why the client can't get an IP address when I exclude these two IP addresses?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jul 01, 2020 10:48 AM

Hi 

• 10.  RE: Problem with DHCP Local L2

Posted Jun 23, 2017 06:52 PM

Hi zailon0,

Were you able to check my last message?

Regards,

Julián