Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

Posted Aug 01, 2016 04:23 AM

Hi there, we are managing the WLAN for one customer, where since we updated IAP 215's to 6.4.3.1 we have found trouble at couple of AP's that returning employees waont' receive an internal LAN IP when entering next morning e.g.

They get a 169.254.x.x. ip..

We have to reboot an AP in order to fix 90% of th eIP problems.. We have 16 AP's in their office.. and we havetheir IT department checked if DHCP IP pool was full, or too long leashes but that is not the issue.

What can be a problem? I have attache dsome screenshots..

• 2.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 04:31 AM

What did you upgrade from?

• 3.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

Posted Aug 01, 2016 05:05 AM

Currently we rund the 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.1 - it was an 'needed' upgrade as we had to believe Instant

We came from a version relased somewhere a year ago, it came with shipped IAP's back then - i think 6.4.0.3-4.1.x.

• 4.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:11 AM

It looks like that client is on the 2.4ghz band.  What is your transmit power on the 2.4ghz band for your access points?  Does it happen to clients on the 5ghz as well?

• 5.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:24 AM

It happens on clients at 5ghz as well. ilike a macbook air.

• 6.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:37 AM

Are your clients using encryption?  We need much more information to understand what might be going on here..

I have not seen any reports of clients not receiving ip addresses on that version of code, so we have to troubleshoot this by looking at everything...

• 7.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

Posted Aug 01, 2016 10:42 AM

Yes they use WPA2 encryption on their SSID. After a reboot the AP provide LAN IP to clients as normal.. it seems to happen after w couple of days..

• 8.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 02:10 PM

If you reboot, the environment is changed, so it would fix things.  The question is, how many client do not get ip addresses?  Is it all of them or some of them?  We probably have to turn on user debugging to find out what might be going on here.

• 9.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

Posted Aug 01, 2016 03:37 PM

We have rebooted all AP's just now since office is empty.

Some clients don't get an IP immediately they enter their working spot, as I can image, 2 AP's provide that trouble - as they did 2 weeks ago. 

How can we turn on user debuggin? I placed 5 cleint on the watch list since they where facing that IP problem today. 

• 10.  RE: Problems clients get no IP .. mutliple times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 03:56 PM

Please see here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-enable-packet-trace-to-debug-DHCP-packets-in-Instant/ta-p/179952 or open a case with TAC so that they can get your information and help you debug.