Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:06 AM

I have a Remote AP (RAP-109) that, according to the enclosed documentation, comes as an IAP. To convert it I need to connect to the "instant" SSID, but that SSID is not showing up. I have tried a factory reset (using the reset switch), but still do not see the SSID. I do not have AirWave or Aruba Activate, nor am I subscribed to Aruba Central, so I don't think the AP is provisioned. I did plug it in to my network, but I never saw it connect to the masterc controller, and, as I said, I did do a factory reset after it was on the network.

Any toughts? Thanks - John

• 2.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:07 AM
    Is it getting an IP address?

• 3.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:37 AM

When I had it plugged in to the network, yes. But the way I read the instructions for converting to RAP, there is no other connections except power. So no, in its current state it is probably not getting any IP address.

• 4.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:43 AM

It will have to be connected to a network where it gets an IP address first, AND that IP address needs to be able to reach the controller you are converting it as a CAP against. Connect to the network, let it get an IP address, the Instant SSID will come up. Connect to it and then convert to the CAP. It will reach out to the controller you specify and pull new firmware. 

• 5.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

Posted Apr 27, 2016 09:48 AM

OK, to be sure, you said CAP twice. I don't want to assume here, but please note that this is going to be a RAP, not a CAP. Is the process still the same? Will I need to whitelist the AP for this to work?

• 6.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2016 10:02 AM

Sorry, replace CAP with RAP...

• 7.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

Posted Apr 27, 2016 10:10 AM

And ...as to the whitlist?

• 8.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2016 10:17 AM

Once you convert it to a RAP, it's the same basic RAP/controller config process. All you are doing is replacing the IAP firmware with AOS firmware. So all the RAP config at that point is done on the controller when the 109 shows up int he 'ap installation' page.

• 9.  RE: Problems converting a RAP-109 from IAP to RAP

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:01 AM

TA-DAH.

Thanks Jerrod! On to the next step.