Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ptk Challenge Failed

This thread has been viewed 54 times
  • 1.  Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Aug 30, 2013 03:59 PM

Having an issue with users being dropped from the network with "Reason Ptk Challenge Failed"    The controllers are running 6.3.0.1.

I just started looking into it, but it looks to be MacOS systems.  

I saw one post with this message referencing the IP Spoofing issue of 6.2.   It does not appear to be the same thing; but I could be wrong.  

• 2.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2013 04:23 PM

Is "Validate PMKID" and "Oportunistic Key Caching" enabled in the 802.1x profile?

• 3.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2013 04:24 PM

In the advanced settings for the firewall, is "prohibit IP spoofing" on or off?

• 4.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Aug 30, 2013 04:32 PM

EDIT:

That location's profile has Validate PMKID enabled and Opportunistic Key Caching disabled.       I am going to compare with the other profiles that are setup.

Prohibit IP Spoofing is "enabled" for IPv4; disabled for IPv6 (as is all IPv6)

• 5.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2013 04:33 PM
    uncheck it from v4

• 6.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Sep 03, 2013 08:38 AM

I'll uncheck it from IPv4 Seth.  What is the recommended settings for OKC and Validate PKMD in this type of setup (primarily Macs)?  Both are disabled.

• 7.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 08:42 AM

In the 802.1x auth profile (under the AAA profile), ONLY check off "Validate PMKID".  Leave OKC unchecked

• 8.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 09:00 AM

@clembo wrote:

I'll uncheck it from IPv4 Seth.  What is the recommended settings for OKC and Validate PKMD in this type of setup (primarily Macs)?  Both are disabled.

Clembo,

OKC is on by default and many Windows clients leverage this.  If OKC was turned off, I would check to see if anything else is changed in that profile because it is on by default.  Ideally in a mixed environment you would have OKC on and Validate PMKID on, as well.

• 9.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 09:03 AM

Supporting facts:

OKC or opportunistic key caching is a mechanism that allows devices to NOT have to re-negotiate keys with a radius server when roaming from one access point to another AP that they have already been on.  Devices that support OKC enjoy faster roam times to access points to which they have previously associated.  This ONLY applies on a 802.1x WLAN.

MAC OSX devices do NOT support OKC so if OKC is enabled in the 802.1x profile (it is by default), MACs will not complete their key exchange and it will manifest itself as a connectivity issue.  If you have a 100% MAC environment, it is best just to turn OKC off in the 802.1x profile.  Validate-PMKID provides a way to check to see if a device is attempting to associate using OKC, but allows clients like MACs that do not support OKC to complete a full key exchange, if they don't support OKC.  Having OKC and Validate-PMKID is if you have a mixed environment and you want to support clients that do OKC, but also allow non-OKC clients to co-exist.  You can also get by by turning OKC off altogether with few, if any issues.  OKC is much more important for Voice clients, where voip applications are very sensitive to roaming and need that fast roaming support.

• 10.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 09:14 AM

Sethfiermonti,

I don't have any supporting facts quotes.

We do have a University in New England where that specific message was showing up both on the controller and on the MAC OSX client when the debugging was turned on.  OKC was off at the time.  We turned on OKC AND Validate PMKID, and clients that leveraged OKC as well as MACs had a better experience and we never saw that message again.

They know who they are and can chime in here.

• 11.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 09:17 AM

Not disagreeing...just presenting the knowledge and will let others decide.  Always good to know that those checkboxes are doing :)

• 12.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Sep 03, 2013 10:04 AM

for what it's worth.   Since disabling the firewall spoofing setting (IPv4), the Ptk Challenge Failed message has not been seen.  The profile still has both OKC and Validate PKMID disabled.  

The environment is probably 80-85% Mac and/or iOS.  

I know what the settings do, but is their harm in disabling both.....or is it better to eneable both?

• 13.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Apr 10, 2015 09:24 AM

I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to say thanks as this article came in handy. A new install was left with PMKID set to disabled when the default option by the system is enabled. No other changes were needed to be made for OSX to roam correctly.

Thanks,

Justin

• 14.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Jun 09, 2015 08:18 AM

Hi,

We have this problems "Ptk Challenge Failed" with an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.0 and Aruba controller 6.4.2.7.

It is the first iOS 9 have in our network, Will we have problems with the new version?

We have tried without succes:

• Checked OKC and Validate PMKID, failed
    • Uncheck OKC and Validate PMKID, failed
    • Uncheck Prohibit IP Spoofing (just in case, the device has no IP and fails in 4-way handshake), failed
    • Enable 802.11r , failed (we have disabled 802.11r for compatibility reasons)

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Toni

• 15.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Jun 09, 2015 12:04 PM

toni, that's interesting.  What does it look like from the iOS9 client side -- does the client just fail entirely or does it connect and then get kicked off a lot?

• 16.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Jun 09, 2015 02:20 PM
    Hi,

Device always fails 4-way handshake and never obtains IP from DHCP.

Association, authentication and enforcement accept by Clearpass with role works fine.

Always fails with PTK Challenge Failed.

WPA2-PSK works fine. Only fails with 802.1X.

• 17.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Jun 10, 2015 07:09 AM

The issue is with iOS9 and ClearPass 6.5.1. The same SSID config with Freeradius works fine.

May be a problem with PMK distribution?

ClearPass enforcement is ok with controller role with accept.

What parameters can be modified in ClearPass for this issue?

• 18.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 07:25 AM

toni.perez,

IOS9 is prerelease software and your issue should be reported to Apple so that it can be fixed in release code.  If it worked in IOS8 but does not work in IOS9, this is something Apple should fix based on your feedback, because they possibly changed something.

• 19.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Dec 14, 2015 06:46 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but we seem to be encountering this issue on 6.4.2.12. We opened a TAC case and they directed us to this post and recommended that we turn off the IP spoofing (we are having problems with a PSK SSID so OKC should not be the problem).

Our question is "why"? IP spoofing should have nothing to do with the symptoms of the problem. We are going to disable it in our next MW but it doesn't explain what is causing the problem.

FYI in the auth-tracebuf we see that when things are working, the 4 WPA keys get exchanged, and when it doesn't work, the AP sends key 1 three times then drops the station. No MIC failures. Affected clients are MAC OS X Yosemite (10.5).

• 20.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 06:50 PM
    Feel free to ask TAC why they recommend that.

If the ap sends the first key and the client does not answer it could be an indication the client did not hear it. That could be because of congestion, interference, or the client roamed away. You probably need to make sure that you wlan has as little contention as possible.

• 21.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Dec 14, 2015 07:05 PM

Thanks cjoseph,

There is definitely some higher contention at this office which we are taking steps to mitigate. However in the meantime would think increasing the number of retries and/or timers could help, assuming disabling IP spoofing does not help?

Tim

• 22.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 07:09 PM
    Again, assuming TAC has your logs, they would know why they asked you to do it. Please ask them why.

Some clients do not like any timers adjusted, so it is a general bad idea to attempt to mitigate it by changing timers. Deal with the contention first and it will make things better for all devices.

• 23.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

Posted Dec 14, 2015 07:17 PM

We actually did ask our engineer why we should disable IP spoofing, and he directed us to this thread. I argued with him by saying that this thread does not explain "why" IP spoofing would cause this problem but he wouldn't give any explanation beyond that. I'll make sure we press again next time we follow up on the case.

• 24.  RE: Ptk Challenge Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 10:01 PM

So, looking back at this thread, there was a bug two years ago that involved turning on ip spoofing triggering something that resembled this issue.  Assuming that you have upgraded between then and now, it probably would not apply to you.  TAC frequently takes precautions to simplify things and to remove them as possible issues.  It would be unlikely, but plausible to do what they did in this case.