Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

QOS with Wifi calling

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  QOS with Wifi calling

Posted Nov 09, 2017 05:46 AM

Hello Airheads,

we are proposing an Aruba solution for a retail customer.

We are discussing VOIP options.

We are initially looking @ wifi-calling for mobile phones in the proposed Aruba wifi environment.

We know with 6.5 code versions we can see QOS being applied.

Question is:- as the QOS is being applied on the controller how can we guarantee that between the Campus AP and the controller we are providing QOS. My initial thought was "we can't" but i thought i would run it past the experts.

cheers

pete

• 2.  RE: QOS with Wifi calling

Posted Nov 09, 2017 08:58 PM

the outer IP header of the AP <> controller traffic should be marked with the same TOS byte as the inside traffic, that's the theory at least :) 

(eg. do a quick pcap if you can to verify)

• 3.  RE: QOS with Wifi calling

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 09:52 PM

@pete_elms wrote:

Hello Airheads,

we are proposing an Aruba solution for a retail customer.

We are discussing VOIP options.

@We are initially looking @ wifi-calling for mobile phones in the proposed Aruba wifi environment.

We know with 6.5 code versions we can see QOS being applied.

Question is:- as the QOS is being applied on the controller how can we guarantee that between the Campus AP and the controller we are providing QOS. My initial thought was "we can't" but i thought i would run it past the experts.

cheers

pete

On the commandline of the controller, you can type "show datapath session table <ip address of that device>" to see if there are markings in the "prio" or "tos" columns: (there is no prioritization on the call below):

stuff.png

The important thing is that the VOIP client is marking traffic for itself to the access point, because controller configuration can only influence traffic to the client.  If the client itself cannot prioritize VOIP traffic, you will have one way audio at best and there is nothing that can be done about it.  In the majority of situations VOIP apps do not do this marking, only dedicated voice hardware does.  There are some situations where a carrier has a highly integrated VOIP solution baked into a mobile handset and the traffic is prioritized by the client.  You need to type "show datapath session table <ip address of client>" and see if the traffic is being tagged in either the prio or tos columns to understand if that is the case.

VOIP solutions can work without prioritization when there is very low density and little contention on the wifi medium.  You don't want to recommend an enterprise a solution that cannot grow beyond a single person office.