Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

QoS on RAP-3 wired port

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  QoS on RAP-3 wired port

Posted Feb 03, 2017 05:10 PM

My company is looking to use a RAP-3 to connect a few remote sites over the internet back to our main office. Does anyone know how I would configure QoS in this situation? The offices would have 10 - 20 phones and we would want to give VoIP and video priority.

I realize a using a RAP to connect a small remote office to out main site may not be ideal, but I'm hoping this would be possible to configure.

Thank you in advance!

• 2.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2017 05:27 PM

Configure your RAP

Plug in your phone.

Enable Broadcast Multicast optimization on the VLAN to stop broadcasts.

It should work.

• 3.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port

Posted Feb 03, 2017 06:03 PM
      |   view attached

Hi cjoseph,

I apologize, I should have elaborated a bit more on the design. We will have multiple users (10 - 20) each with a PC and phone at the site. We also have some IP cameras, and a few other items that all connect back to our main office. All of these devices connect to a switch, and the switch uplinks to the Aruba. I drew up a basic diagram showing the design and attached.

My question is can I configure QoS between the controller and AP for the multiple clients traffic? I've been able to find quite a bit of information on QoS over wireless, but not much on this.

Thanks,

Attachment(s)

pdf
    QOS.pdf   251 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 03, 2017 07:33 PM

There is a way, if you can identify the traffic type, where you can reserve bandwidth for a specific type of traffic on the uplink of a RAP.  The unfortunate part is that the internet itself will not honor any QOS that you put onto a device, so you will be back where you started.

You can create an ACL that reserves bandwidth for traffic by using the rap-bw-resv ACL:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/ap_system_profile.htm?Highlight=rap-bw-resv-1

• 5.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port

Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:50 AM

Thanks for that info, cjoseph!

I do a couple quick follow up questions. My understanding is since the Internet wouldn't be able to "see" the QoS since the traffic is flowing over an IPSEC tunnel. Is that accurate? I'm not sure how the Internet honoring CoS configuration comes into play with that IPSEC tunnel.

I've noticed the documentation I've been reading about for bandwidth reservation mentions split-tunnel and bridge forwarding modes for using these. Our RAPs are in tunnel mode. Is this an issue?

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 11:57 AM

Correct.

Yes.  Unless the forwarding mode is configured for split-tunneled or bridged, the traffic cannot be seen and classified by the AP.  You can configure it as split-tunnel and have your ACL be "allowall" and it will be able to see and classify the traffic.

• 7.  RE: QoS on RAP-3 wired port

Posted Feb 13, 2017 02:11 PM

Thanks cjoseph,

Due to some business and security requirements, we're not able to run RAPs in any mode besides tunnel. This information is good to know, and I can present this.

Thanks,