Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

Posted Feb 14, 2017 03:41 PM

Hi community,

I have a query regarding this metric upon entering the command on an Aruba MC, 'show aaa authentication-server radius statistics'.

The reason for the query is we are currently midway through a replacement of a Cisco ACS solution with a Clearpass solution. We had a metric of 4 msec for the ACS but are now up to 1500 msec for Clearpass.

The authenticaiton method is EAP-TLS. When I perform a packet capture on the client, and review the end-to-end timers on Clearpass I see around 41 msec. So my question is where is the other 1450 msec coming from with regards to the mobility controller?

Any advice or pointers to reference material would be much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 03:52 PM

That is an average, which means at some time, there was a period of log response times.  It will average out as time goes on.  I would type "clear aaa authentication-server radius statistics" to start from scratch to understand what it is more recently.

• 3.  RE: Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

Posted Feb 14, 2017 04:37 PM

Thanks Colin.

I should have mentioned in the original post that we have issued that command but still see the same sort of metric, but it is still around the 1200 - 1300 msec which seems excessive. It doesn't seem to drop to a similar metric of the ACS.

We are also testing with an Aruba IAP solution and this is averaging 34msec, which makes me think it is related to something on the controller?

• 4.  RE: Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2017 04:43 PM

You should open a TAC case.  Maybe you have a bug.

• 5.  RE: Query regarding mobility controller Radius AvgRspTm

Posted Feb 14, 2017 04:47 PM

Sure, will do, thanks