Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question: Mixed Environment with HW and Virtual MM and Hardware and Virtual MCs

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Question: Mixed Environment with HW and Virtual MM and Hardware and Virtual MCs

Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:04 AM

HI all,

i have questions regarding a mixed hardware and virtual requirement for both Mobility Masters and Mobility Controllers.

Regarding the Mobility Masters:

I will have 2 mobility masters on different sites, one is HW and one is virtual. Will this work or are there any issue with failovers? Can I use all features like centraliced licensing and so on?

The HW is the primary and the virtual is kind of a backup solution.

Regarding the Mobility Controllers:

Is it possible to cluster hardware and virtual appliances?

I still hope I can get L2-Redundancy but i want to know my options here.

Or more precisely, what is possible in a mixed environment with HW and virtual controllers. What are the caveats I have to be aware of. 

Or are there no problems with mixed "Hardware"?

Do you have experience with that kind of environment?

Thank you very much

• 2.  RE: Question: Mixed Environment with HW and Virtual MM and Hardware and Virtual MCs

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:12 AM

You cannot cluster a mix of virtual and physical hardware Mobility Controllers.

cluster.PNG

Theres a good section in the User Guide which covers all the limitations and requirements of clustering.

• 3.  RE: Question: Mixed Environment with HW and Virtual MM and Hardware and Virtual MCs

Posted Jul 18, 2019 06:11 AM

Thank you very much,

that's good to know. So no Clustering in this case. 

But are there any other other known problems when using a mixed HW and virtual environment without clustering?

For example the Controllers will be in two different sites and as active/backup controllers for the APs? Is that possible? I know there will be short service interruptions when there is an outtage but will the APs connect to the next controller?

And can I still use centralised Licensing and use HW and virtual Mobility Masters in a Active/Passive configuration with this setup?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Question: Mixed Environment with HW and Virtual MM and Hardware and Virtual MCs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2019 07:56 AM

There is no support for HW MM and Virtual MM to be used in the same cluster. It actually will not work. 

You CAN manage both hardware and virtual Mobility Controllers from *either* virtual MM or hardware MM without issue. 

You CAN have either two virtual MMs *or* two hardware MMs at different sites for redundancy using L3 redundancy configuration. 

Between two MMs (either a pair virtual or a pair of hardware) you can use centralized licensing.